Would a bad water regulator cause low power?

Bought a 97 gsx 787. PO stated it bogged. Checked compression before I bought it, 150 both cylinders. Before I ever rode it I replaced all fuel lines, fuel selector, fuel filter, rebuilt carbs, set pop off, cleaned raves, etc. I dont think any of these fixed it. Boat seems to have low power throughout the whole rpm range. Got it back home tonight and saw the screw on the clamp for the bellow inside the regulator came off and the bellow was off, water was shooting out of it. Could this cause my problem?

+1
    The water regulator clamp and bellows are suspect on any 787 at this point of age if they haven't seen new service parts. It will certainly affect rpm transition if it's not adding or restricting water as needed, good chance by now the clamp band has made a hole in the bellows where the screw joins it together.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that's exactly right. don't lose the band or the screw, they have a high oem replacement cost.

I use a spring from a rave valve instead of the wire clip that always puts holes in the bellows.

what does your pump look like?..poor power thru the entire rpm range may actually be a less then optimal jetpump

I have a spare water regulator off of a GSX I bought to part out. It looks to be in great shape. I have visually inspected the pump, could use a new wear ring but it doesnt look horrible.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucked View Post
    I have a spare water regulator off of a GSX I bought to part out. It looks to be in great shape. I have visually inspected the pump, could use a new wear ring but it doesnt look horrible.
    I keep rebuilt regulators on hand as an everyday service part, I never advocate being a parts changer before due diligence and making a diagnosis for fault but that's one of those parts that might look serviceable and just isn't from a rock hard bellows after 15 years of mineral rich river water exposure ect.

Swap that over and see what happens, anyone running a 787 with an old regulator should show it some love and rebuilt it before it robs them of a weekend on the water they fail with predictable regularity at this stage of use.

Where can I buy the parts to rebuild it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucked View Post
    Where can I buy the parts to rebuild it?
    I use WSM parts (primarily bellows) to service them or you can order OEM parts right off the link at the top of the site page here: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

Thread Information