Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 wave venture 1100

Got a 96 venture 1100, been in the family since new and it's ran like a champ up until last week. I checked compression and it had 110 on 1 and 2 and 30 on 3. I took it out today and it's running pretty bad. Never been rebuilt yet and it has a lil under 300 hours. Still stays and runs but poorly. What's my best options. I've been looking at engines on sbt but I've heard a few horror stories. If I just rebuild the top end myself is there anything else I should check into or replace? This thing has been a tank and I use it mostly to carry people and cargo. I have my 1300 to play on. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated

+1
    DO NOT just do a top end. You'll be sending money down the drain. You have to figure out why the 3rd cylinder burnt out so you know you're fixing the problem. pressure test the engine for leaks. probably the rear crank seal went out, but it could be other things.
    At 300 hours, you may need a crank or crank rebuild. And probably carb rebuilds. You'll probably spend more then you think in a hurry.

I did rebuild the carbs last season, I figured it was just time for a rebuild. If I do put a new engine in, will a1200 npv work without changing pump, or electrical components.

+1
    JetPump, yes. electrical, no.

What's a good place to buy an engine from, decent price, dependable.

+1
    No where good to buy as far as I know. OEM quality and reliability can only built by yourself or an independant shop/enthusiast. Everyone else cuts corners and uses inferior parts.

Thanks for chiming in, I'm pretty decent with a wrench but I'm just looking for the best solution to get this thing back on the water

+1
    Sbt gets a bad rap, but they are the largest remanufacturer for a reason. If you need a crank, for just a little more you can get a whole engine. I, as well as many other people, swear by SBT. You always hear about the one bad one, but never hear about the countless satisfied customers. I have two cranks, and two cylinder exchange kits installed in my two venture 760's. Both have about 75 hrs since rebuilds. I am very satisfied.

Cool, thanks for the input. I'm thinking more and more about putting in a 1200 in it but I probably can't send SBT an 1100 for a 1200. I'll have to call them and see I guess

they won't do that. SBT will only take the core of the same motor.

I'm also an SBT fan. People who replaced their bad engine never fixed the problem in the first place. Furthermore...you CANNOT deny a no fault warranty is not amazing. They stand behind their product!

Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information