Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Good, bad, FUGLY!

I have posted in a few places on here that the 23 of June I was headed to Dallas from San Antonio to buy a new (2014 FXR), here is the story of that journey:

The bad: Headed out to Dallas at 0800 and arrived at Freedom Powersports 9938 Plano Rd.
    Dallas, TX 75238 (88 340-2489 to meet my sales guy I had been talking with for over a week. He had confirmed the sales price of $10,500 and I gave a $2000 deposit via MC to hold it till I could get up to Dallas the following week. I arrived at 3 pm exactly as I told him I would. He took me to see the FXR and the "scratches" he had on it which was the reason why it was discounted. He sent me 2 pics of the FXR, only one pic had any scratches. To call these scratches would be stretching it. They were gouges, DEEP and into the structure of the hull. [I know fiber glass very well, drove Corvettes for 40 years and have a few wrecks in the world of fiberglass). They were deep enough to put your fingers in and get a grip. What he did not take a pic of was the VERY deep gouges underneath and into the ride plate itself...OK, for $10,500 I will do it, I can do the repairs, done them before on Corvettes and PWC's. Told him I would do the deal. Also mentioned that Yamaha had a offer going on for PWC's. Here: http://yamahawaverunners.com/current-offers It did require financing, but you got your choice of $1000 off or a 5 Years warranty and I was willing to finance for the 5 years warranty. I had originally told my sales guy it was to be a cash deal. But for a 5 year warranty then I would finance.

The FUGLY: Day 2, 24 Jun. We arrived at noon to close deal and pick up the FXR. We arrive and I want a cover to go with it. Sales guy takes me over to parts dept. to get one while he "talks to his manager". He comes back and explains that I cannot get the warranty because "they had already taken a $1000 off the selling price". Oh, REALLY. Sorry sales guy, but he deal is for $10,500 and I want the warranty and no where on the internet where its everywhere and in ANY of our conversations or e mails did you ever say a $1000 Yamaha incentive had been applied in lieu of a 5 year warranty. My guess is the damage done to the underside of the ski is major and water will begin to delaminate if not repaired. I tell sales guy we have a deal and I will walk otherwise. Sales guy says he needs to talk to Sales Mgr. After sometime he has not come back so we have him paged, he is gone and instead out come some guy for the Sales manager office to bring us in to meet the Sales Mgr. My first thought here is the older than dirt sales routine at sleaze auto dealerships. Sales guy cannot even made a decision to go to the latrine without asking the Sales Mgr.

We sit down and after a time he lays down some paperwork. At no time did he ever say or ask about our trip up there from San Antonio, glad to see it, thank you for making the drive, appreciate the opportunity to do business...nothing and this told me a LOT as I was soon to find out. In short the $10,500 damaged ski had now suddenly become almost $14,500 out the door. I took one look and asked how you go from $10,500 to well over $14k. I am told in no uncertain terms it was never listed for sale at that price but was listed at $12,499. I told him its all over the internet at $10,500, and its a damaged ski as stated on the many postings. He all but calls me a liar, I tell him "its over, I am out of here". I head to the truck and back to S Tex.

The Good: Stop by San Antonio Powersports in Selma on I 35 and bought their 2014, brand new, 0 hrs undamaged for $14,000 out the door and no fears it will sink for the deep gouges in the bottom of the hull and ride plate.

The following is 3 ads including theirs that were on the internet:

1) “2014 Yamaha FZR, Scratch and dent sale
    Price: $10,500”

FREEDOM POWERSPORTS DALLAS

9938 Plano Rd.
    Dallas, TX 75238
    (88 340-2489

http://www.pwctrader.com/listing/2014-Yamaha-FZR-114787935

2) “This new 2014 Yamaha FZR Personal Watercraft for sale has 0 miles. The color is . It is offered for sale by Freedom Powersports Dallas and located in Dallas, TX. The listing # is 329990.

For more information call (877) 216-3405 (855) 997-4600 x329990 or for the fastest response send an email via the form above.

Scratch and dent sale Scratches are on the Bottom of the Boat”

http://www.powersportstv.com/searchinfo.php?ad_cd=329990&table=cycletrader

3) NOTE, this is from their own website:
    2014 Yamaha FZR

Scratch and dent sale Scratches are on the Bottom of the Boat
    Selling Price -
    $10,500.00
    http://www.freedompowersportsdallas.com/New-Inventory-2014-Yamaha-2-Passenger-FZR-Decatur-Texas-472648

I have pics but do not seem to be able to load, I can post on my website if anyone wants I will post them.

Just got home from Canyon Lake here in Tx, gave it the require 5 min at 2000 rpm and 90 min at not more than 5000 rpm, then drove it for another 30 min, 2 hrs total time on the clock.

The acceleration of the FXR will rip your hands off the sticks and your shoulders out of their sockets and it does not stop till it hits the rev limiter is my guess. I only took it up to about 7500 rpm, but was giving the 80 mph peg a CLOSE look, WOW somebody stop this thing its SMOKIN!!!!! Back in the day I hit 77 mph on my Kawa 150 but the water was like a sheet of ice, temp was in the 60's and it took forever. This thing is a physical workout, my arms feel like rubber...

It drives like a rocket sled on water...

+1
    That sounds like a huge waste of time, gas and money. We've bought two new skis in 2 years, luckily both experiences have been pretty positive. After browsing this site like crazy looking for tips and asking questions, I knew what to avoid. We did visit some dealers that left us with a bad taste. It feels like Jet Ski dealers are worse than auto dealers. I considered driving all the way to Oklahoma for a slightly used jet ski private sale, I'm glad I didn't now. I have a feeling it was a too good to be true situation and they would be banking on me just buying to avoid a waste of time.

I'm glad you found a good deal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    That sounds like a huge waste of time, gas and money. We've bought two new skis in 2 years, luckily both experiences have been pretty positive. After browsing this site like crazy looking for tips and asking questions, I knew what to avoid. We did visit some dealers that left us with a bad taste. It feels like Jet Ski dealers are worse than auto dealers. I considered driving all the way to Oklahoma for a slightly used jet ski private sale, I'm glad I didn't now. I have a feeling it was a too good to be true situation and they would be banking on me just buying to avoid a waste of time.

Scam artists are all over the place, my guess is they are using this as a come on, they have had it for a LONG time, they told me they had bought it from a dealer who had gone out of business. What they did is common in the auto business. Low price to pull you in, the you arrive and your sales guy leaves the property, just like mine did, then comes you effort to intimidate you, all but call you a lair, tell you no such ad every existed, they even tried to tell me Yamaha did not have any such offer, but I had printed it out, they they came up with just another lie, banking I would not drive back to San Antonio without it...fooled them.

So I bought this and broke it in this afternoon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	363464

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    wow m y contact in the Nigerian navy is looking for this exact ski!

wow!

wonder if they will accept a wire transfer.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    wow m y contact in the Nigerian navy is looking for this exact ski!

wow!

wonder if they will accept a wire transfer.....
    I just got a letter from my contact in Nigeria and he is looking to wire transfer me $26 Million bucks, I will have hime send some their way...LOL

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    carful with that, wire transfer over 10mil tend to attract those pesky drones and black helicopters.

for those members who have not a clue as to what we are discussing:

http://www.419eater.com/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Oaks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post

Scam artists are all over the place, my guess is they are using this as a come on, they have had it for a LONG time, they told me they had bought it from a dealer who had gone out of business. What they did is common in the auto business. Low price to pull you in, the you arrive and your sales guy leaves the property, just like mine did, then comes you effort to intimidate you, all but call you a lair, tell you no such ad every existed, they even tried to tell me Yamaha did not have any such offer, but I had printed it out, they they came up with just another lie, banking I would not drive back to San Antonio without it...fooled them.

So I bought this and broke it in this afternoon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	363464

I would email the owner of the business all of this information (Including the pic of you on your new ski!).

I did something similar years back when I was 21 years old and looking to buy a new truck. Went to the local Jeep dealer, was treated like a 10 year old and not taken seriously. Drove up to the same dealership a week later in my new Toyota to say "hi".

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    they'd have found three new bricks in the showroom floor the next morning

+1
    If you had any idea how bad I wanted to punch the jerks lights out...

+1
    Wow that is crazy. Will be looking for you on Canyon when I get back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information