Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Blackstone Analysis Thoughts....

So in an effort to try different oils and make a determination as to which to stick with I've sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs. I also want to keep on eye on engine wear, granted this experiment isn't gonna be cheap but worth putting the oil debate to rest, at least for me. Here are the results for my 2012 Ultra 300x using Royal Purple 10w-40 regular automotive oil, changed at 54 hours with about 24 hours of oil run time.. Let me know what you think of the results as the elevated metals are a concern..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metals are elevated compared to averages, and there's some possible coolant/water
    contamination present here. Maybe some of the metal is lingering wear-in that hasn't washed out yet, but
    some of this could be poor wear from pistons (aluminum), steel (iron), brass/bronze (copper and tin).
    Potassium and sodium can show coolant, but sodium is an additive in this oil, so that's probably where most
    of this sodium is from. Note the water contamination. This engine might have an issue -- have you been
    noticing anything unusual? Try a shorter run and check back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	values.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	363429

Banned User
    +1
    I get a ton of condensation under the valve cover which i would assume is pretty typical due to the nature of what we do so the elevated water wouldnt scare me.
    Also ive seen a few reports from blackstone and they all seem to say elevated metal so i dont know either way what to make of that....

3. +1 by:

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Everyone I know that uses royal pimple has had more issues than the norm also. I do not know why but this is what I have seen.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I didn't want to start another oil thread, but I will take your point in advisement. I put a different oil in this time and will have the same test done, will post the results when that time comes.

+1
    Sub'd, as I am a guru of engine lubrication. Your oil sample sheared to a mid 30 grade lubricant in the 20 hours of use, and that's not a testament of a true synthetic lubricant. Since Calumet purchased Royal Purple, it's gone downhill. The new bottle change over signaled a new era of Royal Purple. They jumped on the hydrocracked petroleum bandwagon, making consumers believe it was the product which made RP famous. I assure you, it's not. Far from it!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...dy-from-Amsoil

Read post #10 in the thread above.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Rescue, you can test every lubricant in the world in your ski, but you will never find anything which performs better than Amsoil Marine 10W-40. Make sure you add it to your test list.

Last tip, always add TBN testing for $10.00 or you will never know how much more life the lubricant has remaining.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Amazing information, thanks for the tips..

+1
    Anything you want to know about lubricant technology, I probably have experience with the topic. Let me know how I can assist.

13. +1 by:

+1
    Take this for what it's worth, but I go by the cardinal rule of frequency of oil change not the quality of oil whether it's a car or PWC ,this goes by over 40 yrs of driving cars reaching 200k and over and 5 yrs High performance PWC 4 strokes ,never had an engine issue..

Do luv that synthetic Amsoil marine though,as riding at a high RPM for long periods feel I got the best lubrication for a high temperature engine..

15. +1 by:

+1
    I agree 100%. However if the RP is not gonna hold up at the forum recommended 20 hour oil change then I definetly won't be using it any longer. Currently saving up a few bucks for that amsoil as it's not cheap for a case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information