Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oil Change - extracting 5 full quarts by tilting ski toward starboard side

I've seen a lot of comments about only being able to get 2.25 - 3.5 quarts of oil out of these skis. I was able to extract almost 5 quarts yesterday by standing on the starboard side (ski was in water next to my dock), pulling port side handlebar in, and tilting the ski as much as possible toward starboard. I also pulled down/steadied against my dock, and weigh 270lbs, so this might be easier with the help of another person as well.

Without tilting, I got ~3.25 or so quarts out, but after tilting was able to fill ~1.25 gallon milk jugs with extracted oil. I put back in exactly the same amount of oil I extracted, and the dip stick reads perfectly just shy of the second fill dot. I didn't expect to have to use more than one of the Yamalube gallons of oil (ie gallon = 4 qts), but fortunately had a second one on hand.

I used this electric pump to extract: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage . The smaller hose it comes with is a perfect fit. Little slow, took ~25 minutes of pumping, but it's super easy to use.

Finally, I generally always change the filter along with the oil, but Yamaha has the damn stock filter on so tight I looked up how often they suggest changing the filter and it's actually at 100hrs / 1 year, so I just left it on there as this was just my 10hr break in oil change. I'll change filter at end of season. Going forward, I'm using K&N HP 1002 filters on my 2015 SHVO FZS which are easier to get off and 1/2 the price and tested to work great on SVHO engines.

+1
    Don't be foolish... get that filter off and replace it. The filters tend to rust thru and dump the oil. Why risk a $3K repair for a $12 part?

+1
    Put a new filter on it. That has all of your break in material in it.

+1
    5 qts is a lot! I was able to get 4 qts out of mine for first oil change. My oil filter was also on very tight but with an oil filter wrench it came off. As others suggested, change the oil filter especially the first one with the break in content in it.

My filter wrench would not work, can someone give me a link to one that will get the stock svho Yamaha filter off? I agree, seems it should be changed, I'll just pump enough fresh oil out with the ski flat then put it back in after changing the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeR397 View Post
    My filter wrench would not work, can someone give me a link to one that will get the stock svho Yamaha filter off? I agree, seems it should be changed, I'll just pump enough fresh oil out with the ski flat then put it back in after changing the filter.
    Sent a screwdriver through it and spin it off. Then put the new one on snug but not so tight.

+1
    I had taken a new yamaha oil filter into an advanced auto parts and found the steel cup style oil filter socket that you put a 3/8" wratchet wrench into and it fit the filter perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Erierunner View Post
    I had taken a new yamaha oil filter into an advanced auto parts and found the steel cup style oil filter socket that you put a 3/8" wratchet wrench into and it fit the filter perfectly.
    i have one of those for my cars but it doesn't fit, nor does the adjustable one I use on my boat. Any idea what size it is?

by the way I found these things need to be metal as the manufacturer filters are installed so tight the polymer cap removers strip in the 3/8 hole first!

+1
    My FZS oil filter was on very tight. I was BARELY able to get it off with the smallest oil filter wrench in my tool box. In the future, I'd suggest a fitted "socket - steel cup" style oil filter wrench which makes it an easy task. You'd need to take a new Yamaha filter into the auto parts stores to size one up. Be careful if changing oil filter brands, as they may fit the same application, yet require a different sized fitted wrench.

Like the others said, get that filter off of there. It has all of the initial break in metals trapped, and you want them gone.

+1
    72.5mm is the size you want.......always torque the filter up & you will never have a problem undoing it........ most people over tighten them 'just to make sure'. 18 Nm is the correct torque.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information