Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    31
    +1
    3

    Young kids on PWC

    I got into a discussion that turned into an argument with my wife last night as to when is it ok to start taking our child for a ride on a PWC. My son is 3.5, he LOVES water, cannot swim yet but will be taking lessons soon. I told her we are not going wave jumping or trying to see if we can set a new water-speed record on our private lake. I just waht him to sit in front of daddy and do a few circles out in front of the house at barley moving speeds (no wake). I told her we could do it together and start by just going out 20 feet then turning and coming back to the shore area. I want to start taking him on it. I think it would be safe and a very small chance of any problems if we moved at crawling speeds while in calm water. Next year when he can swim we can take a slow cruse around the lake. When I was 5 I rode on tubes and also did a toboggin behind my fathers boat. She is against any riding at all until he is 5-6 yrs old.

    So my question is, at what point did you think it was ok to start taking your kiddo on your PWC? What was the criteria that needed to be meet in order to take them? If you did take a younger child on a ride do you have any pictures you could post here for me to show her?


  2. #2
    Ski Hacks MG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,251
    +1
    991
    Here, it is illegal to operate a PWC with a toddler in your lap. My kids started the GA Boaters Safety at the age of 12.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    31
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Here, it is illegal to operate a PWC with a toddler in your lap. My kids started the GA Boaters Safety at the age of 12.
    Thanks CCW! I do not know what Michigan's laws are concerning PWC and children riding on them as passengers, I need to look into this! I took MI boaters safety many years ago and it would behoove me to do some reading on it again. I'm sure some laws have changed since 1990

  4. #4
    Q in Arizona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    38,250
    +1
    13,659
    From Michigan state website:


    Who May Operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC)


    Those less than 14 years of age may not legally operate a PWC.


    Those 14 and 15 years of age may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a boating safety certificate and...




    • He or she is accompanied on board by his or her parent or legal guardian or by a person as least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent or legal guardian or...
    • He or she is operating or riding the PWC at a distance of not more than 100 feet from his or her parent or legal guardian or from a person at least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent or legal guardian.
    Those at least 16 years of age and born after December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a boating safety certificate.


    Those born on or before December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally without restrictions.


    Search for a Boating Safety Class in your area.


    More!


    That's on operating a PWC...I didn't find anything on age limit of passengers.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    31
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    From Michigan state website:


    Who May Operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC)


    Those less than 14 years of age may not legally operate a PWC.


    Those 14 and 15 years of age may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a boating safety certificate and...




    • He or she is accompanied on board by his or her parent or legal guardian or by a person as least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent or legal guardian or...
    • He or she is operating or riding the PWC at a distance of not more than 100 feet from his or her parent or legal guardian or from a person at least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent or legal guardian.
    Those at least 16 years of age and born after December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a boating safety certificate.


    Those born on or before December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally without restrictions.


    Search for a Boating Safety Class in your area.


    More!


    That's on operating a PWC...I didn't find anything on age limit of passengers.
    Thanks! I had just read that a few mins ago. Nothing I found on passengers... I did see an online way to get a boaters certificate! How cool is that!!!

  6. #6
    Q in Arizona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    38,250
    +1
    13,659
    The only thing I saw pertaining to passengers was for boats and children under 12 must wear a life vest at all times...but that really isn't pertaining to PWC's so it's kinda irrelevant. lol

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    31
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    The only thing I saw pertaining to passengers was for boats and children under 12 must wear a life vest at all times...but that really isn't pertaining to PWC's so it's kinda irrelevant. lol
    My child will ALWAYS wear a PFD when on a PWC, and on boats. Boats at least until I feel he is a strong swimmer. I appreciate your info and comments with my question Q in Arizona!

  8. +1 by:


  9. #8
    Q in Arizona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    38,250
    +1
    13,659
    Quote Originally Posted by bjpell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    The only thing I saw pertaining to passengers was for boats and children under 12 must wear a life vest at all times...but that really isn't pertaining to PWC's so it's kinda irrelevant. lol
    My child will ALWAYS wear a PFD when on a PWC, and on boats. Boats at least until I feel he is a strong swimmer. I appreciate your info and comments with my question Q in Arizona!
    You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't help more with your specific question. I think it's the law in all 50 states that everyone has to wear a PFD on a PWC.

  10. #9
    Guidoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Living outside of Charleston SC.
    Posts
    2,350
    +1
    538
    Someone on here post a video of him taking his toddler riding,yes he was wearing a pfd. As long as you can operate the ski safely and can hold onto the young'n I say go for it. Just go slow.

  11. #10
    A couple slow circles out in front of the dock with your child sitting in front of you is to me just fine. Definitely get on those swim lessons...In my area, everyone goes to one particular swim school from when their kids are just little babies but here in MN, there are lakes everywhere and it is standard to learn to swim from a very young age. Community ed doesn't cut it...the private swim school is so much more effective. We end up spending thousands over the years for the kids.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Plastic Truck Storage Box Mounted on PWC Trailer
    By RX951 in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 09:39 PM
  2. 16 Year Old killed on PWC.
    By MikeTrin in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 11:20 AM
  3. PURPOSE OF A FLYWHEEL ON PWCS
    By ABBOTT in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 06:59 PM
  4. New kid on the block
    By dereksabolracing in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 05:13 PM
  5. Debate On PWC Rules Will Affect Oregon's National Parks
    By MikeTrin in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •