Cool down period?

Hey guys! I was out riding this weekend and put a few hours on the ski. Saturday flawless. Rode it for a couple hours straight and it ran fine. Put it through a full tank of fuel. Sunday it ran great. I ran it for roughly 3 hours and then let it rest for a half hour or so. When I ran it again, it had a lower throatier sound in the engine. Almost like there was something in the intake. Power was still perfect. This was all sound. Not super noticable, except I had been riding all weekend and could tell the sound was slightly off.I hopped in the water and checked the grate, did some reverse pumps and rocked side to side and the grate was clear. Impeller was clear. Sound was still slightly off. Almost like it was too hot. Is there a cool off time that you have to have with these? My ski is a 2014 GTR 215.

i

No cool off period to speak of. Although you can experience heat soak after a while but this shouldn't affect sound as you describe. Heat soak is basically a build up of heat in the hull / intake components, which is causing the intake charged air to be less capable of providing a big bang (very technical terms!). Generally not harmful, may drop your rpm's a bit and hit your speed / punch.
    Provided you didn't get any warnings or limp mode etc, you should be in good shape. Overheat on the exhaust will throw a code n warning and is usually due to lack of cooling water (blocked or hose off). Engine doesn't throw a code until 195/200F if I remember right. It's ok to see 180 - 190 depending on how and where you're riding.

I suspect it's just a sound you've not noticed or just a bit of 'bedding in'.

I wouldn't worry, but keep an eye open for warnings and codes. Some people fit a strainer on the water inlet to keep things clear, worth a thought.

I assume you checked hull for excess water?? That could change everything!

Yup! Hull was dry. It was just a slight tone change. Nothing huge but made me go hmmm. My wife couldn't tell a difference.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    maybe a lil water resting against the tympanic membrane?

Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    maybe a lil water resting against the tympanic membrane?

My wife couldn't tell a difference.

That means nothing, my wife didn't notice when I changed the second car, for over a week!

7. +1 by:

+1
    My wife would'nt notice if I gave her the learners key.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post

Proud of mine....let'r ride a GTR215 recently and advised her to hold on tight; it's going to be much faster than our GTI; she came back 10 minutes later saying she couldn't get it over 30; check the key and yep....it was a learner key.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Doo View Post

haha mine either.

+1
    I find the sound a bit different when I ride against the wind than with it...?

Thread Information