+1

99 gtx ltd speedo troubleshooting

I have a 99 gtx I am helping a friend with and it seems the new wheel asm did not fix the issue. The old wheel asm was not giving off any voltage but this one is only giving off 2-4 v. The book calls for 5.5-8.5V. Anyone have any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this problem. The new wheel asm is brand new.

+1
    That voltage check is the only check for these really, if it's only reading 2-4 volts you got a bad wheel assembly.

+1
    That is strange. Brand new asm. $150. I will have to contact the vendor. Thanks for that reply!

+1
    Installed another new paddle wheel and same result. So this makes 2 new paddle wheel sensors that have the same amount of voltage. Both asm were new from the factory. What about a shorted multi-meter? That gauge does send a signal to the mpem which in turn sends voltage to the paddle wheel asm.

You have a messed up gauge, paddle wheel is fine. Let me explain how this works. (I have done a lot of work with these systems when we developed our line of GPS speedometer modules...)

First of all, the MPEM does absolutely nothing, it is simply a pass-thru connection from the gauge to the paddle wheel. The gauge controls everything. The info gauge supplies power to the paddle wheel assembly thru a resistive network, with nothing connected to it, it supplies near 12 volts to the paddle wheel power wire. The hall-effect circuit in the paddle wheel is powered by this line, and at the same time, it switches, or more correctly, loads this line with enough resistance to draw the voltage down to between 5 and 8 volts or so as it switches. The gauge senses this alternation in the line to provide the speedo function.

If you are only seeing a few volts when a good paddle wheel is connected, then the gauge or connections to the gauge are faulty.

+1
    Thanks a bunch! I will swap out that info gauge as soon as I can!!!

Thread Information