Used ski maitinence checklist - newbie

About a week ago I bought my FIRST ski (gtx 185 supercharged). The gentlemen who sold me the ski said it was rebuilt and run in freshwater only, well he lied; the ski has 163 hours and lots of corrosion and was never rebuilt. (not to mention a large nail stuck in the impeller housing) I know I got scammed but I have no clue what to look for in a ski.

What are some things I should look over and check before starting or riding this ski? Also I plan on removing the engine later on; Would I need an engine hoist to get it out?
    Last edited by UnSkilled; 06-27-2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: incomplete post

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the curses of Poseidon to that seller. Welcome to GH

you'll want to run it on a flush hose for starters..make sure it will idle for a minute or two. while that is going on get a voltmeter on the battery and check that it is showing at least 13v @ idle or 3-5krpm..can go as high as 14.

only a couple of minutes of running on the hose. read up on exactly how that is to be done.

to pull the engine you need something or somebody that can dead lift 200+ pounds with limited access. That means a chain hoist or machinations to use a cherry picker engine hoist.

you'll likely need to rebuild the supercharger before you even ride this ski. First step is to pull and tear the oil filter apart to inspect for debris of any concern.

If the filter looks clean, check the charger for slip, again, you'll find detailed how to's here on that bit.

if the charger isn't slipping, take it out and ride it a bit...close to the ramp. make sure you have a paddle or a friend with a boat and your cellphone in a ziplock

If you can get home without help, you're likely good to go for a while, but you don't know when the charger will burp up it's washers, so you have to reset the clock yourself for a couple of hundred in parts and some time.

good luck and again, welcome aboard.

The biggest thing I have ever seen and HIGHLY recommend, but is not applicable to this ski, usually more important in older carberatered 2 strokes is you must absolutely take out for a sea trial....MANY times I've seen them sound snappy and great on trailer only to die when put in the water...Carbs need rebuild and can be quite costly on late nineties early 2000 yamahas $1000+... Sorry to hear of your issues... 163 hours does not mean it wasn't rebuilt, how do you know this? Also, salt water used skis are usually obvious inside the engine compartment and around pump area if it wasn't noticeable from the exterior, the engine should be fine, salt water wise...Compression checks are another good idea of whats going on

Quote Originally Posted by phumb View Post
    163 hours does not mean it wasn't rebuilt, how do you know this?
    I yanked out some of the hoses and they had salt buildup inside them, if someone would go through the trouble of rebuilding the engine I would expect them to clean the hoses as well. I should have known it was run in salt water. But I'm ignorant on the topic of skis for now...

+1
    If you're able to put in a bilge pump before your first water trials do it. It's a good backup to have, especially on an unknown ski, just in case there's a leak somewhere.

6. +1 by:

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was a gtx 185, 215, 255 , and 260 with superchargers but never a GTX 155 supercharged..... What year is the ski? If it is a 155 and he sold it to you as a supercharged ski he was lying yet again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by revrider550@aol.com View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but there was a gtx 185, 215, 255 , and 260 with superchargers but never a GTX 155 supercharged..... What year is the ski? If it is a 155 and he sold it to you as a supercharged ski he was lying yet again.
    +1

155HP is Naturally Aspirated - Non-SuperCharged ski... Follow the air intake and see what that plugs into? Supercharger or directly into the intake manifold? Take pics of the motor and post up... will be easy to tell. Good news is if its a 155 N/A they are very reliable and fairly bulletproof.... just slow.

+1
    Also, if it does turn out to be supercharged, it's not if it says 155 on the hull, by "rebuild" he may have meant the supercharger and not the motor.

Can't post pictures right now due to technical issues, Correct me if im wrong but the supercharger is a red fan near the back of the engine connected to 2 hoses. This is probably a 185 and not a 155...

also this is a 2003 ski

Thread Information