Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP: SL750 polaris no crank

So I tried to start my sl750 today and there was no crank so i figured the battery was dead which it was. charged it to 100 and still no crank. Put the battery on from my 780 which i know its good and still no crank. Also tried using my car to jump it and still nothing. I also discovered that when i put the terminals on the battery i get no spark.

Last time we were on the water we forgot to put the plug in a took on a bunch of water and water flooded both terminals we are thinking and messed something up in the electrical box?

Is this something that can happen and what exactly do i need to replace.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Disconnect the battery.

Open the electrical box and inspect inside. If there is water inside dry it out. Then check for corrosion on the wire ends and terminal board.

Terminology: Crank just means the starter motor is rotating the engine.

There is no water but the board is a little rusty. Maybe the cdi box.
    I have a parts sl650 with a good box
    Could i swap them and still be okay?

I switched the cdi boxes and there is still nothing when i concoct the battery.
    Is there some kind of battery fuze that could have blown in the electrical box or something??

Update:

So i tried a bunch of different things. I connected a third ground wire to the battery and the engine. I checked the black wire going to the stator and i also grounded the electrical box to the engine as well. (my 780 has the black stator wire cut and there is a wire grounding the box to one of the bolts on the fly wheel cover so i did it the same way) Also i used a screw driver to touch both the battery terminal and the starter terminal in the ebox on top of the starter solenoid and there was sparks. So i thought maybe that was bad and i replaced one from my spare 650 and still nothing.

It is really weird. I do not no what to do next. Its a shame because this jet ski was running great mechanically.

Usually when you first connect both terminals to the battery you get a small spark. When this problem started happening i get nothing as all.

If someone can please chime in and let me know what they think it could be or what i should try please do.

Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nismooo View Post
    So i tried a bunch of different things. I connected a third ground wire to the battery and the engine. I checked the black wire going to the stator and i also grounded the electrical box to the engine as well. (my 780 has the black stator wire cut and there is a wire grounding the box to one of the bolts on the fly wheel cover so i did it the same way)

Also i used a screw driver to touch both the battery terminal and the starter terminal in the ebox on top of the starter solenoid and there was sparks. So i thought maybe that was bad and i replaced one from my spare 650 and still nothing.

It is really weird. I do not no what to do next. Its a shame because this jet ski was running great mechanically.

Usually when you first connect both terminals to the battery you get a small spark. When this problem started happening i get nothing as all.

If someone can please chime in and let me know what they think it could be or what i should try please do.

Thanks.
    There is supposed to be sparks when you short across the large stud terminals on the start solenoid. Strong sparks, and the engine is supposed to immediately begin cranking with vigor!

If the engine does not crank when the solenoid studs are shorted together then the starter motor is not working properly.

Have you connected the heavy battery negative cable directly to a bolt on the actual engine? Not to the engine bed plate (which is the factory location), but to the engine itself.

Thank you for your respond K447,

Once i seen lots of spark i took the screw driver away quick and the engine did not crank at all. My battery ground is connoted in 3 spots. The bed plate, and to the nut and screw that hold the exhaust to the bed plate. Also i did a third ground to be sure to one of the bolts on top that hold the piston cover on.

I am suspecting the starter not to be the issue though because on my 780 the starter wire was lose but i still got some spark when i connected my battery terminals and also i just heard a loud click in the box. With the 750 I'm not hearing anything. I was suppressed to even see spark when i used the screw driver on the solenoid

+1
    Thank you for your respond K447,

Once i seen lots of spark i took the screw driver away quick and the engine did not crank at all...

I am suspecting the starter not to be the issue though because on my 780 the starter wire was loose but i still got some spark when i connected my battery terminals and also i just heard a loud click in the box. With the 750 I'm not hearing anything.

I was surprised to even see spark when i used the screw driver on the solenoid
    I think you do not understand what the solenoid does. The solenoid is a big electric switch, controlled by a small electric switch. This is electrically known as a relay.

In normal operation when you press the Start button the switch behind the Start button sends voltage to the start solenoid coil (through the small wires). The solenoid coil energizes and internally moves a much larger switch (relay) which then internally connects the two large studs. This electrically connects the two studs together and allows battery voltage to flow from the battery to the starter motor.

The starter motor requires a very large amount of electricity so the solenoid has a high capacity for electric current.

When you apply the screwdriver between the two studs of the solenoid you are using the screwdriver metal as the electric connection between the two studs. The instant that the two studs become connected through the screwdriver the starter motor will begin to draw a large amount of electricity from the battery.

You must use a firm hand and strongly press the screwdriver blade to both studs so the sparks will be minimal. This is important as the starter motor cannot work properly if the screwdriver contacts are sparking.

It is also important that the screwdriver blade not be allowed to touch any other metal or electric contacts. It must only touch the two studs on the solenoid.

+1
    ... My battery ground is connected in 3 spots. The bed plate, and to the nut and screw that hold the exhaust to the bed plate. Also i did a third ground to be sure to one of the bolts on top that hold the piston cover on...
    On the blue Fuji engines the bed plate may not be electrically connected to the actual engine. The bolts that hold the bed plate to the bottom of the engine case can corrode.

It is better if the main battery ground cable is connected to one of the bolts for the intake manifold at the PTO intake manifold. Remove the cable from the bed plate and move it to a bolt that is directly connected to the engine case.

Okay i will try to re ground the battery. And i will try the screw driver method again and let you know what happens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information