Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Gel Coat Cracks?

Wondering anyone can shed some insight on this for me. From what i read that this happens alot to gel coats..

Is this what this is... There in a few places.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0414.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	363274

+1
    Gelcoat cracks in certain parts on the hull can be considered normal as gelcoat in itself isn't flexible at all. However, where you have those stress cracks would bother me as its in an area that shouldn't have any and its likely you have water in the liner. Not 100% sure on the old RXP's hulls but I believe they have foam sandwich between outer and inner liner. When they saturate with water, this is what can happen. Unlike foam, water doesn't compress and the outer hull gets pushed out.

This happened to my old X4 and it began with what you see on your ski and ended looking like a spider nest. She is in a landfill - RIP

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Gelcoat cracks in certain parts on the hull can be considered normal as gelcoat in itself isn't flexible at all. However, where you have those stress cracks would bother me as its in an area that shouldn't have any and its likely you have water in the liner. Not 100% sure on the old RXP's hulls but I believe they have foam sandwich between outer and inner liner. When they saturate with water, this is what can happen. Unlike foam, water doesn't compress and the outer hull gets pushed out.

This happened to my old X4 and it began with what you see on your ski and ended looking like a spider nest. She is in a landfill - RIP
    Being this is only the gel-coat that has the hairline cracks i should be ok for the season then go from there? None of them are protruding when you run your finger over them. That's why i never noticed them until i was polishing the ski up.

This ski is in immaculate condition inside the hull. You could eat off it it so clean. no cracks in FG nothing. Runs great as well.

This is just one of those things that happen it sounds likes...

What do you say my options would be?

Could anyone else chime in as well.
    Last edited by 05rxp05; 06-24-2015 at 09:00 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05rxp05 View Post

Being this is only the gel-coat that has the hairline cracks i should be ok for the season then go from there? None of them are protruding when you run your finger over them. That's why i never noticed them until i was polishing the ski up.

This ski is in immaculate condition inside the hull. You could eat off it it so clean. no cracks in FG nothing. Runs great as well.

Those hairline cracks are due to the fiberglass and gelcoat flexing, jumping waves will certainly add to the cracks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 05rxp05 View Post

Those hairline cracks are due to the fiberglass and gelcoat flexing, jumping waves will certainly add to the cracks.
    TBH i don't do much wave jumping, if any at all. I have rode in some chop quite a few times. But this doesn't mean that the previous owner didn't jump waves.

I just happened to see these and was like :O so i figured id ask. I knew it was a common thing with the glass flexing and gel-coat isn't flexible creating cracks.

+1
    You could fix it but you'll have to make it worse before you make it better.

Dremel a small grove all along each crack, clean with acetone, fill&overfill with gelcoat then wet sand the overfilled groves down to surrounding hull level, rubbing compound. Totally doable if it really bugs you, it will be a bit of work and the new black gelcoat may not be 100% match but should look better than white cracks.

Working with gelcoat is pretty easy and forgiving since you can wet sand it down to a shine so easily.

+1
    Warning, this may result in more work since you'll be like "damn this area looks good, why don't I wet sand my entire hull"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Warning, this may result in more work since you'll be like "damn this area looks good, why don't I wet sand my entire hull"
    hahahahahah ooooohhhh NNooooo not something else to make nice !
    My bottom has a peeled section raw fiberglass about 1' by 3' prob last thing on my to do list supercharger mods are more fun

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    You could fix it but you'll have to make it worse before you make it better.

Dremel a small grove all along each crack, clean with acetone, fill&overfill with gelcoat then wet sand the overfilled groves down to surrounding hull level, rubbing compound. Totally doable if it really bugs you, it will be a bit of work and the new black gelcoat may not be 100% match but should look better than white cracks.

Working with gelcoat is pretty easy and forgiving since you can wet sand it down to a shine so easily.
    I think I'll live with them for the season the fix em over the winter. Unless I decide to buy a new ski!

Found a good deal already, might just put this one up for sale!

There were a certain batch of skis built in 2004 to 2006 or so that had a delamination problem. Looks a lot like what you have, right before all the gel on the bottom strips right off.

Are any of the cracks on the surface that rides on water? If so, you best fix them before the whole bottom goes. The force of the water strips off the gel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information