+1

intermittent power loss 2008 rxtx.........

OK......been trying to figure this one out....08 RXTX 255......intermittently losses power and rpm......1 second its a bat out of hell the next its a mushy turd.

Max rpms when the problem occurs is around 6800 give or take
    Max speed is around 50mph give or take
    Power loss is there all throughout the rpm range but engine runs smooth no apparent misses or roughness
    idle is normal 1800 and smooth
    Checked slip on SC and holds all the way up past 100 in/lbs....(first thing I thought)
    Spark plugs have been changed
    Pulled the intake manifold and there was a few ounces of water in the PTO runner (Cylinder 3 I guess).....intake hoses are dry but ski has been sitting for 1.5 weeks so may have evaporated.....cant find any leaks in the intake hoses or loose clamps.......SO>>>>>>>intercooler???

I'd start by pulling the hose off the IC to throttle body, hooking up the garden hose as you do for a normal post ride flush, start and blip the throttle a few times. If you get water spraying out of IC you'll know you got issues. This will give you a quick n dirty check of the IC integrity. On a 2008 you should still be on the older, stronger IC's, but they can still fail.

+1
    faulty knock sensor? seen this on a rxp with simiar symptoms. actually it had corrosion inside the wire to the knock sensor.

+1
    Buddy of mine had the same problem with his 2009 yesterday.

In for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    I'd start by pulling the hose off the IC to throttle body, hooking up the garden hose as you do for a normal post ride flush, start and blip the throttle a few times. If you get water spraying out of IC you'll know you got issues. This will give you a quick n dirty check of the IC integrity. On a 2008 you should still be on the older, stronger IC's, but they can still fail.

I notice you did state this was a "quick and dirty" type check, so I wouldn't say you're too far off but you do run the risk of misdiagnosing an external intercooler "leak" by assuming this water is coming from a leak internally within the IC. It is very possible it is simply condensation inside the IC only.

Now on the other hand if you were to sit there running it on a flush for an extended time and it kept blowing water from the outlet, yes - then it might be suspect. Only thing I wanted to point out is to be sure you know that some condensation / water from the IC is just normal.

Quote Originally Posted by K10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post

I notice you did state this was a "quick and dirty" type check, so I wouldn't say you're too far off but you do run the risk of misdiagnosing an external intercooler "leak" by assuming this water is coming from a leak internally within the IC. It is very possible it is simply condensation inside the IC only.

Now on the other hand if you were to sit there running it on a flush for an extended time and it kept blowing water from the outlet, yes - then it might be suspect. Only thing I wanted to point out is to be sure you know that some condensation / water from the IC is just normal.
    Absolutely agree, although if you've seen a blown one blowing water at SC pressure, there'll be no doubt in your mind.

After just a couple of blips the condensation (most of the pooled condensation) will have blown out. A pissing core gives quite a show.

If in doubt, then run an overnight leak test (did this just last week).

+1
    Survey Says>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...........................Int ercooler is leaking............Did a pressure test....oh well time for an upgradeN

Now please help me figure out whats wrong with my other ski in another thread.

Thread Information