1999 polaris slx1050 wont start

I just got an older polaris slx 1050. The pwc was not running and they said. "may" have an electrical problem. I checked what I could, put the correct spark plugs in, and the correct battery. Engine turned over well but never hit. I removed plugs and turned over engine and it had spark. I put a small amount of fuel in each cylinder, put spark plugs back and still didn't hit or sound like it was firing. I did notice they had messed with the coil pack in the electrical box. Could the machine fire but not enough to start the engine.

also mfd does not light up at all. Could this be the issue.

thanks

benny

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is a separate fuse just for the MFD. Replace only with 1/4 amp fuse, no larger.

The MFD is not required to run the engine. A bad MFD can sometimes mess up the ignition. Until you get the MFD working I suggest you unplug the connector from the back of the display.

Check that the wiring inside the electrical box is correct. It is possible to have the firing order mixed up so you have spark but at the wrong time for each cylinder. Follow the wiring diagram for your machine and verify that the MAG primary coil and spark plug wire actually goes to the MAG spark plug. Same for center and rear spark plugs.

See my signature links for lots more info.

Thanks so much. Great start. I put a 1/2 amp in and just realized it was wrong from your response. I will swap this today. Wires look correct in box but not sure what the firing order is. Do you have this that you could send so I can eliminate this potential issue. Sorry to sound ignorant but am assuming this is what you mean by the mag primary going to the mag spark plug. Thank you so much for the help

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There is a separate fuse just for the MFD. Replace only with 1/4 amp fuse, no larger.

The MFD is not required to run the engine. A bad MFD can sometimes mess up the ignition. Until you get the MFD working I suggest you unplug the connector from the back of the display.

Check that the wiring inside the electrical box is correct. It is possible to have the firing order mixed up so you have spark but at the wrong time for each cylinder. Follow the wiring diagram for your machine and verify that the MAG primary coil and spark plug wire actually goes to the MAG spark plug. Same for center and rear spark plugs.

See my signature links for lots more info.

Thread Information