+1

MSX150s Keep or Get Rid?

Last edited by martincom; 07-02-2015 at 01:13 PM.

+1
    How many hours? These weber engines have a plastic water pump gear that is known to brake. Basically you are looking at a lot of work and around 2000-2500 in parts and machine work each. also there are other known electrical issues.

Where do you live? If on the west coast you should defiantly get rid of them,,,, to me. Other wise with mechanical skills it would be cheaper than a new ski. Even the seadoo spark is 5000. It would just take all summer and part of the winter to get them built properly.

+1
    Last edited by martincom; 07-02-2015 at 01:14 PM.

+1
    Welcome martincom!

Cool and kinda sad to hear your original owner story about your MSX 150s. I feel your pain about such nice skis just not living up to their potential... and not instilling the confidence in their owners to get much use out of them.

You have quite a dilemma. Nice skis that you like with a troublesome engine you can't trust. Sounds like you've maintained yours pretty well over the years. I wish that meant they'd be trouble-free, but sadly that doesn't seem to prevent all the common first gen Weber engine issues the MSX 110 and 150 suffer from. Well pampered skis have sheared the plastic waterpump drive gear and overheated/blown headgasket/warped blocks. Well babied skis have suffered from Nikasil plating failure. So many skis have suffered from oil ingestion issues that foul sensors and make the ECU go wonky.

It's hard to say how yours would do even with the upgraded oil tanks (would go a long way to preventing oil ingestion) and upgraded ECU. They could chug on for years without issue... or develop Nikasil plating failure that tanks compression. It just becomes a gamble.

If they run well, now... certainly they are worth more should you sell them. Verses hanging on to them and they later develop a terminal issue... broke skis don't sell so well. If you go into the decision to keep them knowing you're going to have to toss at least $2k each at some point in the future to get them fixed properly... and you can do all the work yourself... then you might choose to see how far you can take them on the stock blocks. Otherwise, it might be the best time to cut losses and sell while they still run and invest in a different ski.

You can get all the parts you need... albeit not cheep. And all the help you need to rebuild/repair is here... as long as you can do it yourself. So... choose wisely!

Cheers!

+1
    Even more common than the water pump gear is the cylinder wall plating. A compression test is a must.

Thread Information