2015 Yamaha SVHO FZS/FZR SCOM Installation supplement guide/tips

Riva includes a decent photo guide with the SCOM unit, but it could be a little more clear to make the job easier so here are a few tips I have after installing the SCOM with the help of this forum. Once you do this, you can do it again in like 5-10 minutes, but it's probably 30 minutes for the first time generally. The toughest part is inserting the #10 pin in the ECU plug b/c it's so small and a tight area, but using needle nose pliers makes this easy to get right the first time and save yourself the troubleshooting I had to do why it wasn't working.

1. Disconnect battery (located under removable storage bucket in back). Just need Phillips screwdriver.

2. Follow Riva instructions to remove rivets and front panel up front to plug in the large adapter. Riva says attach it to the "three grey wire" which is a little confusing b/c there are actually TWO different grey plugs with 3 wires, however, only one of them will fit with the riva adapter, so don't worry about messing this step up at all.

3. Riva then says to remove the engine cover. I'm not sure this is needed but it is just two big Phillips screws and gives a little space so why not.

4. Remove electrical box cover behind engine by sliding tabs. Riva does not say how to get this cover out of the way, so do not try to bend it and pull out between the electrical box and engine. Rather, pull out the storage bucket (above the battery in back) and simply slide the electrical box cover back into the battery/exhaust area where it fits easily.

5. Riva says remove the 4 bolts holding the ECU in and lift ECU out. Honestly, I have no idea why you would do this as it's a pain unless you have the right size extension and length socket wrench and you only need access to the left ECU plug. I suggest only pulling the left ECU plug and leaving the ECU itself mounted.

6. Press the larger white release tab on the left ECU plug to allow the #10 wire to be inserted. Looking at the back of the plug where the wires enter, use needle nose plier to pull out the white filler plug in the #10 spot. MAKE SURE YOU PULL THE RIGHT PLUG. Riva includes a nice pic of how the slots are numbered, with the #10 being on the second row three spots in. The ECU plug has numbering too.

7. Insert the smaller unit's pin into the #10 spot USING NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS, push it ALL THE WAY IN, as far as it will go. Without the needle nose pliers, it is basically impossible to push this pin all the way in b/c the wire will bend and the SCOM will not work. I really wish Riva would have said to use the pliers b/c this is where I messed up pushing it in by hand. The metal pin would insert all the way but it was not pushed forward enough and the plastic wire would bend I figured I had it all the way in, but it wasn't and the unit did not work nor did the plug tabs close properly.

8. When you think the pin is all the way in, you can check by looking at the front of the plug and you should be able to see the #10 pin now just like you see the other inserted stock pins. If so, press in the two smaller white tabs on the plug to lock the pins back in place. If the tabs do not depress very easily, you have not pushed the #10 pin all the way in.

9. Ground the smaller unit to the engine cylinder head like the photos show and put everything back together.

My result with just the SCOM on a 2015 FZS was a boost from 68mph to 72mph (and I am 6'6'' and 270lbs). My RPM's used to hit 7600 then pull back to 7200, and now they stay at 7600. The pull at top end is definitely noticeable and this is an excellent value for money mod. I'm going to do the tommy Jordan exhaust or ribbon delete mod next to see how close either get me to the 7800 rpm limiter, and then also Jim's cut ride plate and I expect to be at 75, possibly 76mph with warranty friendly (and/or reverseable) mods. I'm not planning to pitch or change impellers unless I really have to.

+1
    Good read. I hope to do this mod to mine soon and this should be helpful.

+1
    I've been in your shoes and did the exact mods you have/are doing to your ski with the exception of the TJ exhaust mod, I did the Riva FF. There's a good chance that with the ribbon delete you will be all over the rev limiter. Plan to pitch your impeller, Jim does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    I've been in your shoes and did the exact mods you have/are doing to your ski with the exception of the TJ exhaust mod, I did the Riva FF. There's a good chance that with the ribbon delete you will be all over the rev limiter. Plan to pitch your impeller, Jim does a great job.
    If I am on the limiter with the TJ exhaust mod and ribbon delete, I guess it makes sense to send the stock impeller along with the ride plate to Jim at the same time. What is the price to have Jim pitch my stock impeller?

+1
    How do you like the Riva FF? I want more sound, but not sure I want to mess with the cutting and modifying of the stock pipe with the TJ mod.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TyH2009 View Post
    How do you like the Riva FF? I want more sound, but not sure I want to mess with the cutting and modifying of the stock pipe with the TJ mod.
    I believe Jim only charges $30 to pitch an impeller. I bought a solas from him and had him pitch it before sending it to me, absolutely love the solas. The Riva FF is loud and has a great Growl to it. It does produce a drone when cruising around but I like the sound it makes so much that the drone doesn't bother me at all.

+1
    If you don't want to cut your rubber hose from your exhaust I have some that I sale you for cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by TyH2009 View Post

when you were accessing the front panel how do you remove the white rivets? I tried using a car detailing tool that is plastic and has prongs on it but end up breaking off part of one of the plastic rivets

Banned User
    +1
    Push the very center

+1
    Push the center pin in about a quarter inch and then pull the whole rivet out. Don't push too far though or the pin falls out the back and drops into your hull.

Thread Information