Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: msx 110 help

msx 110 help

I have a msx 110 turbo.I rode the ski all last year no problems then had it winterized and stored in my heated garage. Put it in the water fire it up and i get the check engine light. I have checked all i can map sensors wastegate arm is free, tps looks ok. all fluids are fine. I took it to the dealer that it went to last year and they tell me its too many codes and that they can't narrow it down. any suggestions or help. Or anywhere i can take this ski in the philadelphia area would greatly be appreciated or if theres anyone with a shop i can bring to have it fix please let me know i will pay and travel. we love this ski as a great addition to the boat and want to keep it.

+1
    The Dealer isn't very good apparently . What RPM are you able to achieve with the machine in the water? This can help narrow down the problem. Be sure that the oil isn't overfilled first, before running it further. Read up on these machines here: https://sites.google.com/site/polari...10-and-msx-150

Ive checked oil level and its fine. As far as the rpm didn't check to see what the limitation was i am going to drop in back in the water today after work. it idled fine and pulled strong on trailer but when i backed out thats when it seemed to be over revving with little to no speed. i checked reverse gate and thats fine. i pulled battery to reset the light but that came back right away.

+1
    Welcome to GH ricktheroola!

Glad to hear of some MSX 110 love out there. Sorry for your troubles.

Of all the things you "said"... this jumps out at me the most "seemed to be over revving with little to no speed".

If the engine revs... the ski should move. To me, this sounds like a possible bad seal on your ride plate (metal plate below the jetpump). If the seal on this fails... it will suck in air... the engine will rev... but the jetpump will ventilate and produce no thrust and thus the ski won't go (or go as it should)... like a slipping clutch. Is this what you're experiencing?

Are you getting any noticeable amounts of water inside the hull after being on the lake... or while it's sitting in the lake?

Did the dealer provide you a written list of all the trouble codes it read from the ECU? That would be extremely useful too.

Let us know how it goes. Do remember your highest achieved RPM if you get it out running.

Cheers!

Thank you Ripcuda. Ok so i just took it to the river and ran it it ran a little better than normal however the max rpms was limited to right around 6350 and i got it to about 40mph. However the check engine light is still blinking. now when i make a sharp turn the ski bogs out before returning to a normal rpm once righted
    Last edited by ricktheroola; 06-23-2015 at 08:19 PM.

+1
    Hmm, rpms above 6000 are not a cpu induced limit. Could be a boost leak. Too bad you didn't get codes from the dealer, that would probably help. Hopefully ripcuda will be by soon for more expert advice

+1
    So did you experience the revving without going sensation again? Like a slipping clutch? You would most certainly feel this accelerating from a dead stop/idle.

Have you looked at the jetpump? It's pretty easy to pull (10 minutes) and then you can examine the jetpump bearings (spin the impeller and feel for smoothness). Plus you can examine the impeller to wear ring clearance. The tighter (w/o touching) the better. Too much clearance will decrease thrust noticeably... and bent impeller blades or stator fins could cause cavitation issues... so check for those.

As Hiperco said... no ECU enforced rev-limit above 4800... so it's either a boost leak or popped hose as mentioned... or could be ETB (elect. throttle body) issues. That could explain the limited throttle... and possible changes in throttle during a turn.

The finger throttle trigger works a cable that goes to a black box (PPU) under the steering/hood area. Ensure their is a little cable free-play at zero throttle... don't want a tight cable. Rotate the handlebars full lock both ways and examine the cable. Does it tighten up?

Try this... remove the intercooler to intake manifold hard pipe so you can see down to the ETB butterfly. With the ski/engine off... insert the lanyard... tap the starter button (do NOT start it... just to wake up the ECU)... you should hear the fuel pump prime... the ETB click and humm. Slowly squeeze throttle to full (do you see the ETB sweep open?)... pause 2 secs. Slowly release throttle to zero (do you see the ETB sweep closed?)... pause 2 secs... repeat twice more... then pull lanyard out and wait a few minutes. This procedure (minus the removing the hardpipe part... only did that to visually see ETB sweep) is called the ETB relearn. It resyncs the ECU to the ETB.

Put the hardpipe back on. Now try and start the ski... engage reverse always when starting out of the water... to prevent no-load over-revving of the engine. Does it idle normally now? Are you still getting check-engine or red flashing... AFTER the regular (10?) flashes at startup?

Do you have the updated boost valve (aka wastegate solenoid)?

Cheers!

Ok so i did the relearn and the tb did its sweep on both occasions and it started and idled normally with the check engine and the red light both blinking. i have yet to test ride it which i will be doing at about 530 today after work.As i was pulling the hard pipe i noticed the short pipe wasn't tight and was working itself loose so i reattached it and tightened the clamps. Now my question is how to clear the light. Also the ski is pretty much factory from what i can tell. I will let you know what happens after this ride. thank you so much for the help it is greatly appreciated

+1
    Hmm... if the check engine light is still flashing... there's something the ECU doesn't like happening. Fix the problem, and the light should go away.

This is one of those times you really want to know the tripped code. It could so easily point to the problem. The bogging during a sharp turn has me scratching my head. Low fuel (sorry had to ask)?

Did you check the throttle cable to PPU slack?

Have you performed a compression test on this engine?

Let us know how your next run goes.

Cheers!

Ok so i checked the compression all is well there. I called the polaris dealer to get the codes and was told that there were multiple codes pointing to multiple sensors and that they didn't want to get involved however he still didn't give me the exact list of codes so i can start tracking things down so. Now as to the ride i took it out yesterday and now i have the rpms limited to 6550, however when the ski comes out of the water i see the rpms get up the about 7500. I sucked all of last years gas out put a fresh tank of 93 and ran it. The check engine light and the red light are still both flashing. I don't want to keep running the ski for fear of ruining it. HiperCo i see that you are located in Ny is there anywhere up there that i can drag this thing to to have to codes read and possibly have this thing worked on. I am at wits end and i am not a quitter I'm not giving up on this thing i will get this ski fixed somehow some way
    Last edited by ricktheroola; 06-25-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information