Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 STXR

+1

2003 STXR

It's been a long while since i have needed some help, but i need to pick someone's head. My STXR keeps blowing the holder.

The holder? like drive shaft holder?

+1
    Yep, there are only a few things (in my mind) it can be. 1- three bad holders on a row (no) 2-motor mounts are out of align and putting to much stress on the shaft. 3-drive shaft not true 4-coupler assembly is worn out. I just put a holder in last week. ski ran likea champ for 2 hrs and blew. I will have the engine out in the next couple of days and take to my buddy who own local shop to test shaft. Owning five of these things i have had to convert a small barn into a work shop for my skis.

i know the feeling of having to have a work shop and a parts bin, currently in the fleet i ride with we have 2 stx-rs 5 ultra's. the shaft just take it out and roll it on a table to see if it is straight, when you replaced the holder did you check the alignment of the shaft? motor mounts could be the cause. when you say you blew the holder apart, do you mean the bearing section or the actual rubber dampener? my ultra went through 2 of them at one point, it will rip the rubber of the holder.

+1
    The bearings have never went out always ripping the rubber seal. i did check the alignment and all looked well, it slides very easily into place on the prop. i have changed the holder a couple times on the Ultra's and never had a problem. this will be the fourth one in two years and for it to last only a couple hours something is out of align. Oh well i will figure it out and carefully check out everything this go around. I own four Ultra's and one STXR my buddy has a STXR and an Ultra. I am out of room.

+1
    Tell us the procedure you're using to install it.

+1
    Remove engine, pull drive shaft out, remove damaged holder, remove old silicone and clean surface, silicone back of new holder, bolt down new holder to torque spec let sit for 48-72 hrs before installing drive shaft and engine back in. thats a quick scenir

theres your problem, you should install the drive shaft and engine before you torque down. its all miss aligned

+1
    Well, if that's the case then I will seriously be mad at myself.I will keep you updated in the following week as i check everything out. I have installed ten of these and not one issue out of the others. Maybe i should try drinking water when i work on it this time.

10. +1 by:

if you noticed, the holders are adjustable, they have over sized holes to allow the movement to align here is how i do it. i put sealent on the holder, loosely bolt on. install drive shaft, drop engine back in on mounts, reinstall pump. spin engine over, torque one motor mount, spin engine over torque another, spin over and torque last. then torque holder down and check alignment for last time. ready to rock. i am positive this is your issue

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information