Thread: taking on water

taking on water

I have a 96 slt 780 and im taking water in underneath where the shaft goes into the ski, any write ups on what parts I need to replace where to find them and how to do it. thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look at my signature links. Lots of info there.

In particular check the through–hull bearing seals and the speedometer pitot hose

is that the only thing that would cause it to leak where the shaft comes out of the hull? I just wanna make sure before I order the part I get it right.

+1
    most likely that's the cause if the seals have never been replaced. what i did to find the leak on my sl700 was ride with the seat off at different rpm ranges (in smooth water) and carefully have one hand underneath to feel if water is getting in. i found that it would only leak at high rpm.

you could try it with the pwc strapped to the trailer not sure if it would produce the same pressure though

Isn't there a bearing at the end of the shaft by the pump if so should I replace that also?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboy910 View Post
    Isn't there a bearing at the end of the shaft by the pump if so should I replace that also?
    Not exactly. The driveshaft goes from the engine coupler to the jetpump impeller. It is supported by those two things. Where the driveshaft passes through the hull is the Through-hull carrier. This carrier has two seals and two bushings. The bushings keep the carrier centered on the driveshaft... while the seals keep the water/air out. This carrier has a grease fitting so it can stay greased. This carrier does not support the DS.

In the jetpump... is a small shaft supported by 2 bearings in the jetpump stator... that the impeller attaches to (and is supported by). If you have not... you should pull your jetpump and inspect the impeller shaft for smooth bearings, no water intrusion. The jetpump stator is rebuildable also.

All this info is in the link K447 provided.

Cheers!
    Last edited by K447; 06-23-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: two seals in the through-hull assembly, only MSX has three

+1
    I had the same or similar issues a number of years ago with either the same PWC or a '97 SL780. There is a fiberglass or composite hull insert the driveshaft is inserted through. The adhesive securing it into the hull let loose. I stopped at a body shop operated by a friend and utilized some structural adhesive to re-attach it, after cleaning up the surfaces.

so should I just do the adhesive or should I replace the hull bearing and seal? from what I know it has never been replaced so I guess it wouldn't hurt but don't wanna spend the money if I dnt need to, also if im going to have the jet pump off I was thinking of rebuilding it too. any suggestions on doing this?

+1
    martincom (welcome btw) is describing a broken hull tube where the hose from the Through-hull carrier clamps. His was broken and needed reglued. This would not apply to you unless yours was also broken.

Have you pulled your jetpump off yet? Have you removed your driveshaft yet? Have you taken inventory of what you currently have good and bad yet? I would do all this before I started ordering parts.

Most likely you will want to rebuild the driveshaft through-hull carrier. If the carrier rides snug on the driveshaft (the bushing is good) then you only need the replace the 3 seals.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....water/jet-pump

You may (after inspecting) need/want to rebuild your jetpump. There are 2 identical bearings and a few seals and o-rings for it.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1439122
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1130468

Lots of suggestions on how to do everything you need to do... in the links provided.

Cheers!

I haven't taking anything off just located where the water was coming from underneath. all these parts are probably original.

Thread Information