Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Genesis FI Issues

New to PWCs ,worked on my own bikes & cars forever, pretty good with a wrench.
    PWC - 2000 Genesis FI
    Hours - 25 (yes, that is correct)
    Live in- Honolulu, HI
    Used in salt water only, ski was washed down, flushed after every use.
    Been sitting for 3 years outside. Was inside before that its entire life.

Ski only has 25 hours because previous owner had an identical one that got used waaaaaay more than this one. He always had it serviced by qualified marine mechanic. It was stored properly up until 3 years ago.
    I bought it for $1300 with a trailer (mint condition).
    I have replaced the battery (dead) fuel pump (seized) and fuel lines (old, hardened) and it fired right up.
    Greased up the pump shaft bearing, trailer bearings, checked hoses & wires for condition and connectivity.
    Took it out in the water and it ran ok. Wouldn't turn more than 5,000 rpm though. Died after about ten minutes. Hit the starter, cranked but no start. Hit starter again MFD went blank and ski totally dead.
    towed it back to the ramp, loaded it up went home and flushed it. MFD was now on, hit starter, cranks, no start. Checked fuel pump by grounding brown wire, no fuel. Checked voltages at plug got 12.5 v on red wire, 9.58v on Pink (?) wire. Plugged fuel pump back in, hit starter, MFD goes blank. MFD lights back up ten seconds later. Hit starter, engine fires right up. Now fires everytime.
    What else should i check? It seem like it has a bad ground with whats been happening. How should I go about chasing this down?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    It certainly sounds like it could be a bad ground. The only time the MFI will go completely blank is when the battery voltage feed to the display collapses.

Start by removing and cleaning the grounding bolt at the left rear of the engine. Clean the bolt, bolt hole threads, wire ends, everything should be clean and shiney metal. Also inspect the cable ends for damage or wire fraying.

Do the same with both ends of the red battery positive cable. And the battery negative post connection.

Next inspect the two circuit breakers near the battery. Sometimes these can corrode internally or crack around the neck.

Tip: Make sure you are using the correct spark plugs. These Ficht engines will not run properly with any substitute spark plug.
    Last edited by K447; 06-23-2015 at 08:17 AM.

2000 Genesis FI Issues

New to PWCs ,worked on my own bikes & cars forever, pretty good with a wrench.
    PWC - 2000 Genesis FI
    Hours - 25 (yes, that is correct)
    Live in- Honolulu, HI
    Used in salt water only, ski was washed down, flushed after every use.
    Been sitting for 3 years outside. Was inside before that its entire life.

Ski only has 25 hours because previous owner had an identical one that got used waaaaaay more than this one. He always had it serviced by qualified marine mechanic. It was stored properly up until 3 years ago.
    I bought it for $1300 with a trailer (mint condition).
    I have replaced the battery (dead) fuel pump (seized) and fuel lines (old, hardened) and it fired right up.
    Greased up the pump shaft bearing, trailer bearings, checked hoses & wires for condition and connectivity.
    Took it out in the water and it ran ok. Wouldn't turn more than 5,000 rpm though. Died after about ten minutes. Hit the starter, cranked but no start. Hit starter again MFD went blank and ski totally dead.
    towed it back to the ramp, loaded it up went home and flushed it. MFD was now on, hit starter, cranks, no start. Checked fuel pump by grounding brown wire, no fuel. Checked voltages at plug got 12.5 v on red wire, 9.58v on Pink (?) wire. Plugged fuel pump back in, hit starter, MFD goes blank. MFD lights back up ten seconds later. Hit starter, engine fires right up. Now fires everytime.
    What else should i check? It seem like it has a bad ground with whats been happening. How should I go about chasing this down?

OK I'll do that first thing tomorrow after work. Thank You.

So I cleaned every single electrical connection in the ski. Discovered it had wrong plugs in it (PZFR7G) installed correct plugs (PZFR6H) and still ran the same, seemed like it was missing. Pulled the plugs number 1 and number two are sooty gray, number three is pristine with a slight film of oil. Sure enough number 3 injector is not firing. unplugged the injector and it didn't change anything.How do I check the injector? Can I clean it? it's probably clogged due to being stored for so long.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggyp808 View Post
    So I cleaned every single electrical connection in the ski. Discovered it had wrong plugs in it (PZFR7G) installed correct plugs (PZFR6H) and still ran the same, seemed like it was missing.

Pulled the plugs number 1 and number two are sooty gray, number three is pristine with a slight film of oil. Sure enough number 3 injector is not firing. unplugged the injector and it didn't change anything.

How do I check the injector? Can I clean it? it's probably clogged due to being stored for so long.
    Do not try to clean the injector just yet. Swap the 'bad' injector with another one and see if the problem follows the injector. Mark each injector with the original cylinder numbers before you change anything.

Do not over torque the injector bolts and make sure they are snugged down evenly.

Check that the exhaust temp sensor wire harness connector has not accidentally been plugged into a fuel injector. They use the same 2-pin Deutsch connectors. The exhaust temp sensor wire harness has a pink wire, the fuel injectors do not use any pink wires.

You have confirmed you have correct fuel pressure?

fuel injector woes

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggyp808 View Post
    So I cleaned every single electrical connection in the ski. Discovered it had wrong plugs in it (PZFR7G) installed correct plugs (PZFR6H) and still ran the same, seemed like it was missing.

Pulled the plugs number 1 and number two are sooty gray, number three is pristine with a slight film of oil. Sure enough number 3 injector is not firing. unplugged the injector and it didn't change anything.

How do I check the injector? Can I clean it? it's probably clogged due to being stored for so long.
    Do not try to clean the injector just yet. Swap the 'bad' injector with another one and see if the problem follows the injector. Mark each injector with the original cylinder numbers before you change anything.

Do not over torque the injector bolts and make sure they are snugged down evenly.

Check that the exhaust temp sensor wire harness connector has not accidentally been plugged into a fuel injector. They use the same 2-pin Deutsch connectors. The exhaust temp sensor wire harness has a pink wire, the fuel injectors do not use any pink wires.

You have confirmed you have correct fuel pressure?
    Pressure is 25 psi, rock steady
    Switched number three injector and number one injector, ran like dog poo, switched everything back. Remove arrestor cover and shot some gas, (just a trickle) into number three & fired it up. Number three definitely has compression! it seems the injector started firing. Going to let it cool then try again to confirm.

+1
    Did the no-fire wet spark plug symptom stay on number three cylinder or follow the swapped injector to number one cylinder?

seems to firing on all three now going to drop it in the water and test it.

no joy. max rpm 4990 max speed 34.9mph.
    number three injector not working for sure.
    Neighbors compression tester shows 133, 138, 135 front to back.
    nice blue spark on all three
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Biggyp808; 06-25-2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information