My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

97 stx 1100 carb issue

I have been working on a 97 stx 1100 that had the carb shafts sieze. I replaced them with a set of freshwater really clean carbs and have a no-start condition now. I thought it might have been the choke, the fuel filter, the fuel pickup, or the accelerator pumps so I replaced all of it, purged the lines, and tried it out and its starting but not running right and dies shortly. I have picked up a carb kit and will be rebuilding them but is there anything else it could be in the meantime?

The engine runs fine when its been primed either by pressurizing the return line or by placing my hand over the carb with the plug leads off. But it dies shortly and when it does the fuel filter is empty.

Should I also replace the pulse lines and if so what should I use? Stock replacements arent available and the fuel lines can suck closed

Sean

+1
    Replacing the hoses sounds like a reasonable idea. I've made a pulse line from automotive fuel hose. It may have to be re-routed because you can't make the sharp corners that are molded into the OEM hose.

Have you replaced the fuel pump diaphragms?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'm a little confused by your description.

can the engine run if heavily chocked off at first?..or does it stall?..or both?

Check all the hose connections. Easy to mix them up.

I check for fuel delivery by putting the return line into a safe container and cranking the engine with plugs out and grounded. I expect to see fuel in the can after a few ten second cranking bursts.

Make corrections as needed.

Did you inspect the replacement carbs?

I just did a set that looked really clean (at first) I was a bit upset as I thought I had another difficult diagnosis ahead.

Well all that changed when I got to the internal filters. Plugged. Solid. Residue from ethanol fuel. Amazing the engine was even able to start.

So maybe rebuilding the carbs is good.

I use regular old fuel line for a pulse line.

Nothing saying you can't use some 90 degree brass/stainless fittings to get the expected routing.

Check out a beverage supply catalog, lots of interesting fittings used for soda machines

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I removed the choke and installed a primer, if I use the primer the engine startes fine.

To prime the carbs I tried both the "hand over the carb" method and the "pressure in the return line" method. Both get fuel to the pumps but the engine dies shortly after.

I removed and cleaned the fuel pickup.

Replaced the fuel filter.

The carbs were inspected but not torn down which is why I ordered the rebuild kit last night.

If you have used fuel line for the pulse fittings, did you use the factory style braided hose or the aftermarket tygon style "soft" hose?

Thanks,

Sean

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I use ( as difficult as it can be sometimes) shields a1 fuel line for everything. I would not use tygon for a pulse line, use some automotive fuel line for that.

carb needles are liklely obstructed. What did the internal filters look like during inspection?..did you eyeball them or actuall blow some air thru them.

still confused:

engine starts fine ( with primer)
    engine dies shortly after a start using the hand method.

I assume it'll fire with the primer but not continue to run.

this points directly at a fuel line obstruction. Or perhaps a leaky crankcase that is giving a less then adequate pulse.

did you check the pump output on the return to tank line when cranking?

Thread Information