+1

96 Polaris SLT 780 Bottom end gear oil?

Hello, Can anyone tell me what type gear oil and how much goes in the crankcase?

+1

The Polaris 780 blue "Fuji" engine is a 2-stroke engine. It does not have oil in the crankcase like a 4-stroke. 2-stroke(!) oil is injected into the carbs or intake of the engine by an oil pump. The oil tank sits on top of the fuel tank (remove the seat to see it).

If all that has been removed on your ski... and it's been converted to Premix-only... then you would add 2-stroke oil to your gas in the proper ratio for pre-mixing of the gas and oil.

Might I recommend you read-up on your ski. There are a number of highly recommended maintenance items you should complete before you toss it in the lake. Start here:
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Cheers!

+1
    So you're telling me that the crank runs dry with no lubricant? I understand that the oil is mixed with gas on the top end, but what lubricates the crank?

+1
    The intake on a 2-stroke engine sucks fuel/oil mix in the lower case...across the crank/rod bearings... lubricating them. Then get's sucked up through the ports into the cylinder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_engine
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...two-stroke.htm

Cheers!

5. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    2 strokes are wonderful things that way. No oil changes.

Not trying to highjack anyones thread but my question is pertaining to this topic. I just bought a crank and crank case that I will be rebuilding the top end. There is some black oil looking stuff in the bottom end (as it is slightly used) and I was wondering if I should flush this out before assembling the top end. Should I get it as "clean" looking and "dry" of oil as possible? How to go about it and what should be used.....and not used LOL. Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 02virageTX View Post
    Not trying to highjack anyones thread but my question is pertaining to this topic. I just bought a crank and crank case that I will be rebuilding the top end. There is some black oil looking stuff in the bottom end (as it is slightly used) and I was wondering if I should flush this out before assembling the top end. Should I get it as "clean" looking and "dry" of oil as possible? How to go about it and what should be used.....and not used LOL. Thanks.
    You want the crankcase and crank to be 'clean' in terms of dirt and other contaminants, but not 'dry'.

The typical approach is to clean it as much as may be needed, then coat the bearings and metal surfaces with 2-stroke oil or fogging oil, or perhaps an engine assembly specific oily product. The pre-assembly oil coating protects the metal surfaces from corrosion until you get it fully assembled and actually running. The oil coating also provides the initial lubrication for the bearings until the oil from the oil injection system gets flowing.

Could I flush it with say,... diesel fuel, turn it upside down, get it dry, and then put a coating of oil on it....just to be safe? Just wanna make sure I start right.

+1
    Yes... that would be fine to clean the crank/cases. I've done that in the past with Kerosene (similar to diesel). After wiping-down and drying... get it nice and lubed... especially the bearings.

Cheers!

Thread Information