2008 250x pump failure

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but have been reading threads for a while but have not came across anything like my latest problem.

First a little background. my family owns two 2008 Kawasaki ultra 250x which we bought used a couple years ago. after only the third or fourth ride we had an engine failure on one of them, long story short the pump failed and took out the bottom end of the motor. After an expensive repair to the motor I rebuilt the pump using the upgraded 300 parts. I replaced the pump housing because the bearing spun in the housing and ruined it. I installed the new 300 shaft as well as all new bearings seals and o rings. basically the pump was all brand new except for the impeller which was still in pretty decent shape. when I took the jet ski out to break in the motor, after about a half hour of very easy riding I had another pump failure. when I pulled the pump out I found that the impeller shaft and broke in two pieces right where it threads into the impeller, also the rear bearing (the one by the nut) had failed and was seized up.

I am a little worried about rebuilding it because I could not determine a cause for the failure. I did have two concerns when I originally rebuilt the pump, the first was the clearance between the impeller and impeller housing the manual says the service limit is 0.0236 in. and mine was larger at around 0.04". at the time since the impeller looked like it was in good shape I did not worry about it, I thought it might just have slightly reduced performance. The second concern is in the parts microfich there is an o ring that is shown behind the two bearings for the 300 pump but not shown in the 250 pump, I ordered this o ring but did not see anywhere where it would fit. the two pump housing (vane guide) had different part numbers so I though maybe the 300 housing had a spot for it but the 250 did not. I orderd the 250 housing when I rebuilt it. I have not seen anyone on the forum mention about needing the 300 pump housing to do the upgrade. I attached links to the two parts guides below.

So does anyone have any ideas of what may have caused this failure? anything else I should be checking. my plan now unless I learn something new is to order a new shaft and bearing and a solas impeller and rebuild it, but as I said before I am a little worried not knowing what caused this failure.

I will try to post some pics later.

Thanks for reading!

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...9b01c/jet-pump
    http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...9b22c/jet-pump

Here are the pictures showing where the shaft broke and the bearing that failed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	363031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	363032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	363030

+1
    yes mate the oring isnt used in the 250 housing, also its unheard of for the rear bearing to fail. there has been reports of broken shafts in the past.
    a few questions did you install the bearings correctly? did you install the front spacer? did you torque the prop and the rear nut to the correct specs?

Nicjak,

I followed the instructions in the shop manual, I pressed the two front bearings one at a time into the housing until seated and pressed the rear bearing onto the shaft until seated. By the spacer I guess you are talking about the bushing between the front bearings and seals, yes I installed that. I followed all torque specs in the shop manual. The manual says to install the grease seals first then the bushing then the bearings, I think I installed the bearings first then the bushing then the seals but everything went together the same it just made it harder to get the grease around the bushing.

+1
    sounds like you done everything correct, i use a grease needle to fill the cavity as i go. if you done everything as per the manual i would try for parts warranty on the shaft, they shouldnt break. still doesnt explain the rear bearing failing though.

+1
    Same shit happens to me, the rear bearing failed after rebuilt but instead of broke the shaft impeller spin of and causing crankfailure...

+1
    Never ever seen a rear bearing fail they are a loose/guide fit all load is on the front bearings

Thread Information