Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reset button trips

2000 genesis carb. Reset button trips when stator wire is pluged in. New battery, lr505, starter solenoid. cdi 2years old out of 2000 genesis carb that sunk. Comp is 140 139 140. 145 hrs. Tested staters on both same reading both. This ski was not running when bought. I put CID and lr505 in from old one, it ran but would take time to stop breaking up, then would run perfect all day. Started fine first time this year minutes later reset button. Bought new lr 505 oem starts no volts or tach only 12.8 to battery. Bought 2 after market lr505 one cooked the other same as oem. I ordered an other one oem, trips breaker. Any thought would be appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I got lost with what parts you have bought and installed. How many different LR modules have you tried in this machine?

Only one LR module causes the circuit breaker to trip, correct?

The primary suspects for tripping the circuit breaker are either a bad LR module or a short in the stator charging coil to ground (or both). Stator charging coil is Yellow to Red/Purple wires. There should be zero connection (infinite ohms) between the engine ground and the unplugged Yellow and Red/Purple stator wires.

A possible but less likely suspect is the CDI itself. Trace the Red/Purple wire coming out of the CDI. What does it connect to?

Thanks for reply. Not at ski. I believe yellow wire to lr505 is the one shorting. It would start with after market one that didn't fry. No volt meter or tack runs rough until I woke up multi function display by pressing buttons. Reset button trips with new oem. 0 0ms to yellow, red purple.i also switched mfi s no change. That stator was replaced by previous owner by polaris dealer last year that's when he gave up. Not sure about s red purple wire but I think it goes to red purple. Will check in the am. Thanks for your time.

I just checked yellow wire 0.2. Purple and red 0.8 also checked the old ski stator wires. one no connection to yellow to ground. No connection red and purple to ground do you think stator is the problem. If so any tips on switch, never did one

Quote Originally Posted by 1dion View Post
    I just checked yellow wire 0.2. Purple and red 0.8 also checked the old ski stator wires. one no connection to yellow to ground. No connection red and purple to ground do you think stator is the problem. If so any tips on switch, never did one
    red and purple wire go to splitter to circuit breaker and the board

+1
    I just checked yellow wire 0.2. Purple and red 0.8 also checked the old ski stator wires. one no connection to yellow to ground.
    No connection red and purple to ground...
    red and purple wire go to splitter to circuit breaker and the board
    So your CDI is directly connected to battery power Red/Purple.

You need to disconnect each component and see which one is causing the circuit breaker to trip.
    LR module or CDI.

You have tested the stator charging coil and Yellow is not shorted to ground, so the problem is not in the stator.

It's the yellow wire out of lr505 to the yellow spliter. It's difficult to figure out because if the the breaker is slow the yellow wire in lr505 cooks the unit

+1
    It's the yellow wire out of lr505 to the yellow spliter. It's difficult to figure out because if the the breaker is slow the yellow wire in lr505 cooks the unit
    A good LR module should not conduct current when the engine is not running. Something is wrong or miswired.

To avoid cooking anything, hook an automotive light bulb between the battery positive post and the heavy red battery cable end. This way even a dead short in the watercraft will simply light up the light bulb without damaging anything. Choose a light bulb of about 5-10 watts at 12 volts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sockets__58344140535149712801280_zpsff9e02ca.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	363171

The bulb should not light up strongly when the electrical system is at rest. There may be a momentary blip when first powered up. With the light bulb in series the engine will NOT crank and cannot run.

What a good idea. I connected the bulb it lite up. Disconnected the stator plug. Bulb off. Tried various wires. Red purple to reset button broke the circuit. R/P comes in from stator splits to CID and reset breaker, and then to reset to board. I disconnected wire to CID and board no change. Light on goes off when R/P disconnected to breaker. Red wire is also on breaker, goes to starter solenoid. Other things I tried were change reset breaked and starter solenoid no change. I checked oms R/P to ground 0.5 with bulb in line at the stator connection. Any ideas are greatly appreciated

+1
    What a good idea. I connected the bulb it lite up. Disconnected the stator plug. Bulb off. Tried various wires. Red purple to reset button broke the circuit. R/P comes in from stator splits to CID and reset breaker, and then to reset to board. I disconnected wire to CID and board no change. Light on goes off when R/P disconnected to breaker. Red wire is also on breaker, goes to starter solenoid. Other things I tried were change reset breaked and starter solenoid no change. I checked oms R/P to ground 0.5 with bulb in line at the stator connection. Any ideas are greatly appreciated
    Power comes from the red battery positive cable. Goes through the circuit breaker, then it goes TO the stator on Red/Purple and TO the CDI Red/Purple and the terminal board and TO the LR module Red/Purple.

Battery power then comes back from the stator on Yellow. It then goes from Yellow terminal into the LR module. Yellow also goes to the display.

Find out which device wire must be disconnected to cause the light bulb to go dark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information