+1

Water intrusion and "glitchy&q uot ; cluster

I posted this in the FAQ area, but also thought I'd put it here as well. Hopefully it'll help some people out.

The cluster on my GP1300R had water droplets inside the lense for a couple years now. It wasn't until the end of last year the cluster started messing up and glitching out. Sometimes the alarm would sound for no reason. So I pulled the cluster and checked it out. On the back of the cluster, there is a cover with a seal that the wires go through. I took out the phillips screws, removed that cover, flipped it over and about a shot glass full of water came out! I then let the cluster sit out in the sun with the cover off the back for a while, but it was taking too long. I then placed it on a glass plate and baked it in an oven set on 225°F for 2 hrs. I did NOT go any hotter than this. Once water has dried on a circuit board a few times, the minerals and deposits left behind can conduct current between components....especially the microprocessor pins. I heated and bent a toothbrush so the handle was 90 degrees instead of straight. I then brushed as many deposits i could from the areas I could reach (luckily most) and then blew out with compressed air. I added clear silicone to the rear seal area and the threads of the screws to prevent wicking. If you use bubble soap and a spray bottle, you can leak test the cluster. I sealed the wiring hole in the back with a shop rag and blew low pressure compressed air through the same hole. I then sprayed the outside of the cluster and watched for bubbles. I had a small leak in the left hand lower corner of the clear cluster face. I used blue painters tape to mask then Crazy Glue to seal the area. Others have mentioned clear packing tape over the reset button...although I didn't try that this time but will if it leaks again. I assembled it all back together and installed. Worked 100% for me and I'm glad I didn't have to spend a pile of cash on new or used. It may not bring back all clusters, but its worth a shot IMHO. If yours is showing signs of water entry, I suggest doing this sooner rather than later. Good luck!
    Last edited by Prism; 07-08-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Rewrote post

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    I posted this in the FAQ area, but also thought I'd put it here as well. Hopefully it'll help some people out.

The cluster on my GP1300R had water droplets inside the lense for a couple years now. It wasn't until the end of last year the cluster started messing up and glitching out. Sometimes the alarm would sound for no reason. So I pulled the cluster and checked it out. On the back of the cluster, there is a cover with a seal that the wires go through. I took out the phillips screws, removed that cover, flipped it over and about a shot glass full of water came out! I then let the cluster sit out in the sun with the cover off the back until it dried and cleared. Once water has dried on a circuit board a few times, the minerals and deposits left behind can conduct current between components....especially the microprocessor pins. I heated and bent a toothbrush so the handle was 90 degrees instead of straight. I then brushed as many deposits i could from the areas I could reach (luckily most) and then blew out with compressed air. I added clear silicone to the rear seal area and the threads of the screws to prevent wicking. Others have mentioned clear packing tape over the reset button...although I didn't try that this time but will if it leaks again. The theory is water can somehow work its way through the button. I assembled it all back together and installed. Worked 100% for me and I'm glad I didn't have to spend a pile of cash on new or used. It may not bring back all clusters, but its worth a shot IMHO. If yours is showing signs of water entry, I suggest doing this sooner rather than later. Good luck!
    This will help a lot of people. What steps did you use to pull the cluster?

+1
    I removed the left side cowl, then removed only the two bottom bolts on the side of the ski and the two nuts near the underside of the storage bucket lip for the right side cowl. I did not remove the right cowl. Then I lifted the center console area near the storage bucket to access the two 8mm nuts holding the cluster to the retaining bracket. I then, under the storage bucket, I unplugged any wires going to the cluster and alarm buzzer. I then removed the rubber grommet the wires go through and pulled the wires up as the cluster popped out of the front.

+1
    Last edited by Prism; 07-08-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Rewrote post

+1
    going to try this, I will let you know what I find out

6. +1 by:

Thread Information