Help, Just purchased 2 polaris ski's, a 96 slt750, and a 97 slt 780. 750 quit

Have always wanted ski's and finally got a pair. My son took them out sunday and the 750 ran for about 15 mins and then quit. Now it will turn over but then it hits a spot and stops. I pulled the plugs out and it will turn over more but still hits a spot and stops. Is there something im missing or do you think the engine is bad?

thx for the help in advance.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk

with the rough spots you are feel im guessing you need a piston and cylinder at the least. please remember how old these skis are, EVERYTHING needs to be gone over. making sure the oil injection system works, or was the machine premix? your next step should be to pull the heads, and have a look it will be pretty easy to diagnose.....

now thats worst case....the OTHER option about be the impeller sucked something up, and its stuck in the pump. look around the impeller fins, get under it check the water intake and see if wood or a rock or anything is stuck in there.

before pulling the heads off the engine, you might want to take the pump off the ski to eliminate that as an issue.

Thx for the welcome.
    I was going to do a comp test next.
    How do you check to see if it is oiling???? Would it be best to just eliminate the self oiler and just use premix?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY94C View Post
    Thx for the welcome.
    I was going to do a comp test next.
    How do you check to see if it is oiling???? Would it be best to just eliminate the self oiler and just use premix?

Removing the oil injection is a debated subject IMO, there is nothing wrong with the Polaris Oil system, it is mostly reliable, as long as you inspect the hoses that go to the carbs, not much goes wrong with them, with premix you will use more oil. as the polaris oiling system is a variable dependent on throttle. Also. if you ever have to fill up on the water...how will you premix? again this is my oppinion, ultimatly you will do what you want to do yes a compression test would be a good step

Thread Information