Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 - 2001 GTS's w/ 720's falling on face

Like the title says identical skis with 720's that only run for about 5 minutes before they just wont run anymore. These are new to us and we're trying to get them dialed in.

We've gone thru the fuel systems and replaced and cleaned everything - the skis fire on the trailer and sound great and strong. Get them in the water and they run out pretty good for about 5 minutes and then become hard to start, will not take any throttle (or they die), but will idle forever. Let them sit for an hour and the whole process starts again....

I'm leaning toward electrical issues because twice the one ski just cut out at 1/4 throttle like someone pulled the lanyard - gauges dropped out and motor quit. Removed lanyard put back in and it fired up.

I've read about bad rectifiers possibly - open for suggestions and ideas!

Thanks!

+1
    I would look at the fuel system even further, check the fuel selector valve. Also replace all the fuel lines and rebuild carbs

Been there done that. This is two skis basically acting up after they get warmed up.

+1
    Have you tried pulling choke cable while its running to see if it gets better?

+1
    Being a 720 I would suspect loose/ leaky exhaust pipes.

I just went through the same thing. I already had replaced all lines and I rebuilt the carb twice.. still couldnt get it to run WOT without choke. Finally got it today. Ground wires in the drybox on the coil were rusted up like crazy. I cut and reground them all to the - on the battery directly. This and moving the RES line directly to the carb bypassing the filter and selector valve completely fixed my problem. I am going to verify the selector valve tomorrow and make sure it wasnt clogged. but all I know is I have been tinkering on this for awhile now and she runs great now.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    were the carb needle and seats changed?

One of the skis had carb cleaned and one has a complete carb rebuild. It's not fuel related when they go they pull hard and will stay up top till you let off and then it's over.

Thanks for for the info on the coil wires. I know one ski has that exact situation. Next job will be all electrical connections.

Checked and cleaned electrical connections and replaced both rectifiers with new. Much better performance this time. They both ran for a little over an hour with a few momentary hesitations. Might have to rebuild the other carb now.

Anyone have any experience using HEET in the gas tank to get rid of any possible condensation or water?

Went back through fuel systems, pulled tanks, rebuilt/cleaned carbs and still having issues. Skis will run all day but just have trouble accelerating out of the hole.
    These have 75 pilot jets and 167.5 main jets with accel pumps. What jet sizes do I need to get rid of the accel pump?

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information