96 800 xp electrical issue

Hey Guys

In desperate need of some help here , i purchased a 96 800 xp a year ago with a blown motor , since then i have completely rebuilt the motor and put it back in the skii , everytime i hook up the battery and put the key on it almost instantly pops the starter coil , Found water in my read fuse box so rewired it and placed all that looked damaged and put in the new coil . once again it blew it almost instantly. ive checked all my wiring and cant seem to find any faults its as if the coil is getting to much power and expands with the heat , can anyone provide some insite on what this may be ? ive contacted various skii shops and mechanics but know one seems to have a clue , when i put the key on i have vts power and dash lights , starter motor doesnt turn over when you press the start/stop , also since ive replaced the starter with a brand new one . any help would be greatly appreciated as im at the point where im going to part it out

Cheers Guys

kane

+1
    First time I hear this one. I would get a shop manual and start reading the values of all the parts that is describes in the shop manual. I believed you can download the shop manual from this site or from seadoo.net. I cannot be starter related. I would look into the rectifier, mpem, stator etc, Also since it pops the coil, check if all the ground cables a connected correctly. Good luck and keep us posted

+1
    Do you have an electrical schematic for the XP? Can you post a pic of your rear box opened so I can see all the connections? I'm thinking maybe the large positive cables are on the solenoid backwards.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Do you have an electrical schematic for the XP? Can you post a pic of your rear box opened so I can see all the connections? I'm thinking maybe the large positive cables are on the solenoid backwards.
    That would be a really good place to start, if it all checks out open the front ebox that early style MPEM has the power relay in that box that runs the CDI, the DESS side of the module needs to see it before it looks for the key code to power up and enable the start circuit to work.

If you don't hear that relay engage (it's pretty loud) when you put the key on the post, you got an issue there.

hey guys

Thanks for the replys , will get back to you tonight going to do some work on it and will post those pictures

cheers

Thread Information