Unhappy No Hall Effect??

I've created a new post, now that I have different circumstances, but still with a similar problem. Really hope someone can make a suggestion or two.
    1999 Genesis Carburated. No Spark. Engine turns over normal--11.4volts while cranking.

The engine suddenly stopped running last year, while on the water. After investigating, I discovered I had a a significant voltage draw (like .5 volts at all times, particularly when the stator wire harness was connected to the electrical box). After a variety of investigating, signs pointed to the stator. I pulled the flywheel cover and found bits of metal inside. When I pulled the flywheel itself, I discovered one of the mounting brackets on the stator broke loose. The stator than flopped around and eventually grounded, thus the battery draw. A new stator has been installed (Gen III ignition). No other damage inside the flywheel housing was recognized (housing, shaft, etc all look fine).

After re-assembling everything, I had no spark. I removed the LR-502 entirely, per K447's link/instructions. Still no spark, even with bilge pump running. So I went ahead with my electrical diagnosis. Ignition coil ohm check is good. Spark plug wires ohm check is good. I did the 9V battery to test the hall effect sensors (per Polaris manual). I do not get a reading when turning the flywheel slowly. I have infinite ohms on red, blue and green wires during this test. No readings on any of the wires. This made me suspicious the small magnet intended to actuate the hall sensors is now gone. Is this small magnet visible inside the flywheel? I borrowed a small magnet from the refrig door, hoping that would trigger an ohm signal on the stator, but no luck. SHouldn't this have at least proven my test technique?
    What I am missing? This is getting really frustrating, but I don't want to give up.

Can someone tell me exactly where the hall effect sensor magnets are located on the flywheel? I can't detect any magnatism when I pass a simple metal washer around the hub of the flywheel. I'm really beginning to think these magnets are no longer present. Thanks guys.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Thank you very much K447. Well, my magnet is missing, so of course there is no hall effect! This makes perfect sense now. Should I try to install a new magnet or search for a replacement magnet holder, or even a new flywheel?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    ... Well, my magnet is missing, so of course there is no hall effect! This makes perfect sense now.

Should I try to install a new magnet or search for a replacement magnet holder, or even a new flywheel?
    I would find another timing ring or entire flywheel.

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend so far. Making some progress, but stumped again. I now only get a weak spark. Fuel is getting to the carbs. Engine turns-over normal, but no start. New timing ring arrived--installed identical as the old one. The hall effect sensors now seem to be working correctly. Battery voltage (red/purp) at CDI is 10.8 while cranking. I get ~8 volts on brown wire. I tested the stator wires again (it is a new stator), and readings all meet spec.

Ign. coil-secondary wires: engine ground to plug boots
    16" 3670 ohms
    22" 4400 ohms
    28" 5390 ohms
    Ign. coil-seconday wires: Black coil wire to plug boots
    Nearly identical values as above.

Ign. coil primary--black/white to:
    yellow/brown, black/blue and black/green all .50 ohms.
    Bl/white to black coil: open

Have I sufficiently tested the CDI and ignition coils?

Thread Information