Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Buying a used 2012 VXR - Cavitation

    Hi All,

    I am looking at a used VXR 2012. It runs good, the only thing is on hole shot it caviates like crazy. It will bounce off the rev limiter on a hard turn or just at full throttle from a stop. The Ski only has 25 hours on it.

    My questions..

    1. What are some things that can cause cavitation?

    2. How easy is it to reset the hour meter on one of these?

    Thanks for the help. BTW tried searching and couldn't get much info on causes other than worn out impeller/wear ring.


  2. #2
    abracadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, FL United States of America
    Posts
    2,153
    +1
    239
    I just bought a 2013 FX-HO with the same issue. Turns out I need a new ware ring and prop. Got a super deal on it!!!

  3. #3
    abracadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, FL United States of America
    Posts
    2,153
    +1
    239
    You will also pickup about 3 mph once repaired!!!

  4. #4
    infamous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,068
    +1
    352
    Reset the hour meter? Why would you want to do that?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    Reset the hour meter? Why would you want to do that?
    I want to make sure the person i am
    buying it fr didnt do it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    I just bought a 2013 FX-HO with the same issue. Turns out I need a new ware ring and prop. Got a super deal on it!!!
    How did you know it needed a new prop?

  7. #7
    abracadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, FL United States of America
    Posts
    2,153
    +1
    239
    The prop was worn out and bent out of shape...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mfslacker22 View Post
    Hi All,

    I am looking at a used VXR 2012. It runs good, the only thing is on hole shot it caviates like crazy. It will bounce off the rev limiter on a hard turn or just at full throttle from a stop. The Ski only has 25 hours on it.

    My questions..

    1. What are some things that can cause cavitation?

    2. How easy is it to reset the hour meter on one of these?

    Thanks for the help. BTW tried searching and couldn't get much info on causes other than worn out impeller/wear ring.
    Another question

    if the cap on the fresh water flush connector is left off, will that cause the hull to fill with water?

  9. #9
    Another question
    if the cap on the fresh water flush connector is left off, will that cause the hull to fill with water?

    YES!!!! snug that little bugger down. 2011 VXR/S there was a recall for cracked nozzles. If the noozle is cracked . . . that will add cavitation and loss of mph. I am not sure if recall applied to the 2012 model year as well. JB

  10. #10
    NickSezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    102
    +1
    11
    Bought mine with a bent prop and had the same problem. Weird part is that I was still able to run 69mph with that prop but it would spin out of the hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help needed to buy a used tuned ECU for 2012 RXT-X RS 260 HP.
    By speedster in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-30-2015, 02:49 PM
  2. I want to buy a used RXP-X anyone selling?
    By FSTRXP in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 07:21 AM
  3. Tips on buying a used SUV 1200
    By bldguy65 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 10:23 PM
  4. Buying a used 951 Seadoo engine
    By Roldanw in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 04:38 PM
  5. Looking to buy a used 06 GP 1300 R
    By stifun in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •