Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Question Seadoo Snap-In Fenders: Questions For Those Who Have Them

I have a set of those 'hull huggers' that I deploy when docking, but I really like the Sea Doo Snap-In Fenders and think they are a better solution. However, I have been reading threads where people said that you have to drill slightly into the fiberglass, which would make these a no-go for me.

In looking at the mounting hardware and the actual rub rail on the ski, I don't see why you would have to drill in anything but the plastic (?) rub rail, so long as you drill straight and true.

So I thought I would ask:

1.) Do you still like your snap in fenders?
    2.) Is it possible to drill straight through the rail and NOT have to drill into the fiberglass?
    3.) Did you install the mounting hardware on BOTH sides for convenience? If only drilling through the rail, having an empty hole on one side shouldn't impact anything, so considering this option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fenders.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	362796

+1
    I installed hardware on both sides, the fiberglass that you drill through is the lips of the upper and lower half's of the body.
    These lips are what the rub rail mounts to.
    I find them to be the best solution, easy on and off.

3. +1 by:

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    I installed a set on mine a couple weeks ago. Yes it is nerve racking drilling through the fiberglass and hearing the crunching and cracking sounds but like gbest said, you are drilling through the very lip beyond the hull seam, so no worries about sealing or anything like that.

To answer your questions.
    1. I have not had a chance to use them yet
    2. No, the fiberglass that you catch is the tab of fiberglass that the rub rail wraps around. In fact for the big hole, you really only catch about 3/4 of the tab - makes for difficult drilling right on the edge of it.
    3. I would not consider doing it on both sides. Does seem like it would add any convenience. Put them on the fuel nozzle side only - you can always spin it at the dock or dock on the other side.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the info, guys.

I wish they had the hardware installed at the factory. I bet they would sell a lot more of them if all the new skis had the holes pre-drilled.

+1
    I installed them on both sides of our 2 skis. They really are nice, but it's difficult to get the mounts perfect with the rub rail. You do have to drill into the fiberglass but it really isn't a big deal. I used 3 different sized bits to work up to the half inch hole required.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshualmarley View Post
    I installed them on both sides of our 2 skis. They really are nice, but it's difficult to get the mounts perfect with the rub rail. You do have to drill into the fiberglass but it really isn't a big deal. I used 3 different sized bits to work up to the half inch hole required.
    Absolutely agree, the second one I did lined up much better than the first. I actually drilled slightly higher on the rail then they recommended because I saw how the bit wanted to walk off the edge of the fiberglass on the first hole and pulled the rub rail with it.

+1
    The trick when drilling anything peculiar is to start by using a small center punch to create an impression to keep your bit from walking (even in the hard rubber/plastic gunwhale trim), then start with a very small bit and increase bit diameter gradually. Takes longer but you end up with very nice results.

For this application, I would use:

Center punch ----- 1/8" ----- 1/4" ----- 3/8" ----- 1/2"

If you follow this procedure, I guarantee that your fenders will line up exactly where you want them.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    The trick when drilling anything peculiar is to start by using a small center punch to create an impression to keep your bit from walking (even in the hard rubber/plastic gunwhale trim), then start with a very small bit and increase bit diameter gradually. Takes longer but you end up with very nice results.

If you follow this procedure, I guarantee that your fenders will line up exactly where you want them.
    I followed a similar procedure although not using as many intermediate drill sizes but with a center punch, pilot hole and intermediate. The problem is that the drill doesn't completely engage the fiberglass lip. The drill breaks out of the side of the lip and once that occurs, it becomes very difficult to maintain position. What I would recommend is move slowly vertically, but keep the drill speed up. Know that it will try to break out the side and try to counteract that.

13. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post

Good call. I was thinking of heating a punch with a torch first, then working up through the bit sizes.

+1
    I only have them on the left side.
    I love mine! I put the snap in fenders on right before I get to the dock, then I use the speed ties to tie up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-09-01 11.19.24.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	363226

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information