Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    +1

2002 Genesis I, Spark Issue

Hello all, I picked up a 2002 Genesis I. Body is in great shape 49 hrs on it. It was not running. Found that it has no spark. Sent EMM out for repair. EMM is back and in working condition. Now I have an intermitent spark. It still wont run. I pulled the CPS, looks like there is some hard black gunk stuck to it. Im thinking maybe a stator problem? I have never opened up the front flywheel cover. Any advice how to proceed?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Hard black gunk? Bits of magnet material, or some sort of goop?

If it was me I would remove the flywheel cover and have a look. If a magnet has come loose from the flywheel that must be corrected, especially if the stator has been damaged.

+1
    K4, thanks for the help as always. Its not goop. Its hard and black. Is it hard to remove flywheel cover? Can i leave the oil pump etc attached? Just take out the 8 bolts and have a look? Can i reuse the gasket? Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsax13 View Post
    ... Its not goop. Its hard and black.

Is it hard to remove flywheel cover? Can i leave the oil pump etc attached? Just take out the 8 bolts and have a look?

Can i reuse the gasket? Thanks!
    The oil pump is attached with only two small bolts. Easy enough to remove and set aside. Working on the front of the engine you will want some room to see what you are doing.

If it was me I would probably disconnect the oil feed hose at the oil pump and cap it off. That way the oil pump can be bagged and moved out of the way.

There is a water cooling cover on the front of the flywheel housing. That flat horseshoe shaped cover can stay in place but all the perimeter bolts for the large main cover must come out. Some bolts are longer than others, make note of what bolts go in which holes.

The gasket may or may not be reusable. It has been in there for sixteen years so it may be really stuck and tear apart during removal. A new gasket is recommended of course. Reusing an old gasket with some gasket sealant is possible, depending on the condition of the old gasket.

If you find any signs of damage, debris or water inside then the flywheel itself must be removed. Then you can inspect the stator and the flywheel interior.

+1
    Im making sure is a spark issue before i get too involved. Having the spark plugs outside the motor, sometimes i see spark, sometimes not. Poured a little mixed gas into intake x3. Still no start. Checked compression....only 120psi on each.?? Is that too low to run? I dont know why its so low. Engine and body look like new. MFD is showing 50 hrs.
    I even poured a little 2 cycle oil into each cylinder to try to increse compression PSI. It didnt help. Still no start. Ideas?

+1
    Update- Some progress...I changed the spark plugs, (yes I feel like an idiot) .Now it will only fire up when i pour gas in the intake manifold. Looks like my spark problem is a fuel problem. I know I have fuel pressure. 30psi with return hose clamped. 20psi and bouncing when not clamped. Im wondering if my fuel injectors are actually injecting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsax13 View Post
    Update- Some progress...I changed the spark plugs, (yes I feel like an idiot) .Now it will only fire up when i pour gas in the intake manifold. Looks like my spark problem is a fuel problem. I know I have fuel pressure. 30psi with return hose clamped. 20psi and bouncing when not clamped.

Im wondering if my fuel injectors are actually injecting.
    Spark but no fuel injection is commonly cause by weak voltage at the Ficht fuel injectors.

Find a place to connect a volt meter to the White/Red wires. Any white/red wire. Do not unplug any fuel injectors. Crank engine. Voltage on white/red should rise to over 20 volts DC. If it stays below 20 volts you will not have fuel injection.

Make sure you are using the correct NGK spark plugs, no substitutes allowed.

+1
    Yes, I have fresh PZFR6H plugs. I will check the injector voltage tomorrow. EMM is fresh back from Harris. I would think injector voltage is controled by the EMM? When i get it started with fuel in the intake, I can keep it running for a minute if i feather the throttle. But it will die after a minute. Im wondering if the gas is bad. I will also drain the tank and get fresh gas tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

+1
    I feel as though you might be going through excessive work to get the result you want. Most mechanics start with the simple things like taking resistance measurements of all the electrical components, then voltage reading of the outputs of these components. Comparing your recorded values to that of the recommended OEM values gives you the best place to start.
    HERE is good information:
    https://sites.google.com/site/polari...jected-engines

And you can have the service manual here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43055

here are the values you need to be reading. Search for ficht stator testing for proper testing procedure or we can walk you through it fairly easily.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ficht specifications and values.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	362894

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information