Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally got her going.

So,

After the long slog of fitting all these parts as in this thread.. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233268

I finally got her breathing fire today and fire certainly sounds like she's breathing. In fact it sounds more like she's missing and blowing a load of fuel down the exhaust. That could be the motec map so I will look at that later on. Fuel pressure is set to 58 PSI on ID 1000's. Motec map is set for 1000's.

My main concern now was the timing. I have just fitted some Riva adjustable sprockets and set the Intake to +5 and exhaust 0. I timed both sprockets to be 0 before installing the +5 inserts on the intake.

I just wanted to run this by you guys/girls first as I have read setting the timing on these things is hit and miss (14 SHO)

I set #1 at TDC using the dial gauge that goes into into the spark plug hole and set the punch marks as the pic below. It seems hard to get the marks bang on but I guess they can be off very slightly if your a tiny touch of TDC. If I jump a tooth either way it puts the marks even further out.

Whats the thoughts if this look right from your wealth of experience ? Would a compression test give a definite answer If the timing is correct ?

Just to add, the engine wont stay running, fires up sounds lumpy and dies. Sounds more like the map but wanted to make sure my timing was right before moving on. I can keep it going with a few revs but sounds like the exhaust is igniting unused fuel. Boy is the riva water box loud 8-0

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    can u take a front to back pic over head at that angle it looks like both are off could be just the angle.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Absolutely Jim Is Correct both cams are out of Timming!! Make sure You are Using a dial indicator on TDC (which You did just stating), The old screwdriver trick for TDC is not the way to go.

Here is what I settled for
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	362774   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	362775   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	362776  
    Last edited by shrabber; 06-19-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks folks,

I think the exhaust cam is off a tooth. The intake has been advance by 5 degrees so that's why that ones a little forward.

The plugs are black and looks like a fuel residue on the piston so probably deffently rich but the motec will fix that, just got to get the timing right first.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    they are both off , the intake at zero is actually a little to the right from factory when adding 5 degrees it is just a tad over to the left of the line or close to dead on the line. Were it's at now it's 14 degree advance with the 5 you added, The exhaust is off it should be dead on the line right were it's at is 9 degree retard. Hope that helps.

8. +1 by:

+1
    May I ask if Your running adjustable cam gears?

I am, the exhaust is set to 0 and the intake +5.

This is a big help guys, these things are tricky to set up, especially single handed working with the engine in the hull. The chain tensioner is nightmare to keep taking in and out. I should have bought an manually adjustable one

I'll take it all apart again tomorrow and start again

+1
    Sparky, yes here my Opinion (my) I would set the gears at zero!!! Line everything up first. Then run it, then you can pull the valve cover and make your adjustments.

you have a MOTEC it has the world of adjustments, get the motor at zero tune then go back and make the fine Tunning

just my 2 cents as I am going to do on my spare motor I built

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information