XL 1200 LTD won't start

I just picked up a 2000 XL 1200 LTD. I took it out on the ocean and it ran great for 4-5 hours. I didn't run it too hard, mostly in low 30's. On the way back in, about 1/4 mile from the ramp, it started running rough and I had to give it a little extra throttle to keep it running. When I let off he gas it started running rough and sounded like it was going to die. As i pulled into the dock it completely shut down, this was about 1 minute after it started running rough.

After getting home I went to drop it back into the lake and it wouldn't start at all. I continued trying until it beeped and I got a warning light and the screen said "Low Volts". I then put the battery on the tender for the night and got new plugs thinking maybe they had gotten fouled. Next day put the new plugs and freshly charged battery back in and same thing. Wouldn't start and after about 10-15 seconds of cranking it started beeping and the screen read "Low Volts" again. If I stopped trying to start it and waited 10 seconds the warning light went away until I tried starting again.

When I replaced the plugs they were wet with fuel so I'm pretty sure it's getting gas. The dealer I bought it from also said they rebuilt the carbs before putting it in storage last winter.

Any ideas where to go from here?

How do I check for spark?

Pull all the spark plug wires. Then remove the front plug, put the wire cap back on it while it's out, and set the plug down so the threads are touching the head. Then hit the start button while looking at the electrode. If you see sparks, then you're getting spark. Put the plug back in and repeat with the other two.

Just remember to always do this with the other caps off the plugs. Always.

Ok that's easy enough to do. Any idea where to go from there if I do or don't get a spark?

Thanks for the help!

Check compression. Go to autozone and get their loaner gauge. Remove all your spark plug caps, then remove one plug, install the gauge, crank it until the gauge stops moving, release pressure, reinstall plug, repeat on the other two.

Would it not start because of low compression? I thought it would still start but just be low on power.

Depends how low it is.

ok well I'll check all that tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice!

Thread Information