+1

Hurricane cracked cylinder

Dropped the ski's in for the first time this summer, started them on the trailer and the hurricane was pissing water from the mag cylinder on the carb side like a Cherub. Nice hair line crack on the cylinder. I assume I didn't drain all the water out of the engine over the winter grrrr. So my question is if compression is still good can I just replace the jug and keep the piston? Or am I asking for trouble? I assume I can do just one cylinder? Is it still a good core (if I want to do a full top end). Finally if I just wanted to redneck it could I just JB weld it? (Ok kidding, but summer is short here in Minnesota) What all I need in parts to get this done ASAP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	362717

+1
    If I were you I would just buy a new jug and call it a day. The questions you have to ask are has the engine ever been rebuilt? If yes then you have to take apart the head on that cylinder to see what size the piston is and make sure it's okay before you go any further.

If the piston looks fine as well as the rings then you should have to problem just slapping a new jug on there, make sure it's bored to your size piston.

As for jb weld I have used it on the red done covers and surprising it worked well and held up for a whole season with no leaks until I replaced it. But I don't know if it will work on a cylinder, I wouldn't wanna take the risk and damage your motor anymore than it is

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakespiteri View Post
    If I were you I would just buy a new jug and call it a day. The questions you have to ask are has the engine ever been rebuilt? If yes then you have to take apart the head on that cylinder to see what size the piston is and make sure it's okay before you go any further.

If the piston looks fine as well as the rings then you should have no problem just slapping a new jug on there, make sure it's bored to your size piston...
    If the replacement cylinder is freshly bored then the piston should have new rings, so the rings can properly break in and seal with the cylinder.

How many running hours on this engine, since new or since the last rebuild?

+1
    Well... I bought it non-running (bad stator) and the guy said he put a new engine in a year before it was non-running. Since I have had it I have put maybe 50 hours on it.

Where is the best place to get a jug?

+1
    Do I need to replace the O rings? or the cylinder head ring? Obviously the base gasket will need to be replaced.

+1
    It's an SBT rebuilt motor is there any weirdness I need to worry about? I am being left alone in the garage tomorrow for Father's Day so I guess I will find out tomorrow

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeC View Post
    It's an SBT rebuilt motor is there any weirdness I need to worry about? I am being left alone in the garage tomorrow for Father's Day so I guess I will find out tomorrow

It all depends on what SBT does to the motor. They may deck the case which would then lower the cylinder. They may also machine the top of the cylinder. Then the heads would need to be cut to compensate. I do not know any of this for sure, but to figure it out, some measuring would need to take place. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the SBT motor program would have a definite answer.

Maybe a call to SBT would be a good idea. I would think they could set you up with what would make it all right.

+1
    Looks like the crack went on both sides and on the intake port, it also looks like some water got into the case. I only ran it for like 20 seconds on the trailer in the water so I am not sure how concerned I should be. I did run it out of the water as well to blow any water out. I measured the bore and it is 81.2 mm which I believe is stock. the compression was 120 on both before I started tearing it down. My thinking is to get a used jug on ebay and just be done with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jun 21, 2 24 12 PM.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	362967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jun 21, 2 24 06 PM.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	362968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jun 21, 2 22 35 PM.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	362969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jun 21, 2 21 16 PM.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	362970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jun 21, 1 46 23 PM.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	362971

+1
    Stroker 1450 sent me a good vid on how well minor rust damage can hide itself. It think it's a good fit here. Not trying to jump your thread, just make sure to check thinks very closely.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Stroker 1450 sent me a good vid on how well minor rust damage can hide itself. It think it's a good fit here. Not trying to jump your thread, just make sure to check thinks very closely.
    That is also something that would never get caught by most people because nobody ever wants to pull a motor out and split the cases to make sure things are good.

Thread Information