+1

01 genesis not charging

My 01 Genesis carbed all of a sudden stopped charging. It will run fine but I noticed at the end of a run the battery voltage was 12 volts while coming in. It has always been in the 13-14 range. Verified voltages with my meter. Put a brand new agm battery in, put a brand new stator in, bypassed the 505 module same result.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    My 01 Genesis carbed all of a sudden stopped charging. It will run fine but I noticed at the end of a run the battery voltage was 12 volts while coming in. It has always been in the 13-14 range. Verified voltages with my meter.

Put a brand new agm battery in, put a brand new stator in, bypassed the 505 module same result.
    The LR-505 module contains the rectifier and voltage regulator on a carburetor engine. When bypassed the LR module cannot provide battery charging.

Looks like the LR-505 module needs to be replaced...

There is a work around possible using an LR-31 alongside the LR-505, with specific wires moved to the LR-31. I think I posted somewhere on here a while back how to do that

+1
    Thank you for the info K447. Ive been playing with my ficht skis for so long I keep forgetting the carb skis are set up different. I always thought the stator would put out the voltage no matter what and the 505 would "rectify" the higher voltage and keep it within a reasonable range. Oh well, trial and error.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    For others who may read this thread later...

On all Polaris carburetor engines, red domestic and blue Fuji, the magneto stator charging coil and the LR module work together to provide battery charging. If either one is not working properly there will be no battery charging.

Of course all the little things must also be in working order; the terminal board, the electrical box internal grounding, circuit breaker, etc.

The Ficht engines have the battery charging system contained within the EMM module. On Ficht the LR-503 module (Virage and Genesis only) has nothing to do with battery charging. The MSX 140 does not have an LR module at all.

+1
    Just replaced the lr505 with one I found while going through a bunch of parts I had. Works perfect now. Thanks K447.

Thread Information