Opinion on StandUp Ski

Currently looking for an affordable standup under $2k. What's everyone's recommendation? Early 90's Yamaha or Kawi?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
    Currently looking for an affordable standup under $2k. What's everyone's recommendation? Early 90's Yamaha or Kawi?
    Reference: Long time standup rider & builder here...

The only early standup worth messing with is the Yamaha SuperJet. The early 90's SJ are nicknamed "square nose." Its a great ski for first time riders. However, the '90 to '93 models used 650 motors (6m6) where the '94 & '95 used 701's (61X). If you must buy an early model, make sure someone already converted it to a 701...don't bother with the 650! You can easily swap to 701 is if needed...

While your $2K budget is a little tight, you might be able to find a '96-up "round nose" SJ. While the bottom of the hulls are identical from '90 to '07, the round nose model is better built with more durable fiberglass topdeck (still SMC bottom). The round nose handle-pole is much stronger too. The motors in the '96-up were still 701 but they used larger cases (62T) with same 701 cylinders (61x) and the combination makes good power. Throw a Factory "B" Pipe, prop, rejet, head, reeds and it completely wakes up that outstanding little motor! However, the early square nose will feel more stable and the round nose will feel more lively. I had both and all were modified because riding a standup that isn't modded is not much fun (IMO).

Caution:
    If you plan to ocean ride it, there are some very important mods to the hull that should be done. If not, you should be fine (especially if new).
    If you find a '96-up model for cheap, be very carefull because water can get into the rear half bondline and soak the foam inside and make the ski a TANK! If you don't want an advanced "project" ski, stick to clean, unmolested models.

+1
    I bought a 1987 Kawi 650sx for like $500, it ran and that's about it. I put some money into it cleaning it up and a few mods. For what it cost, it's a great little ski for the few times I take it out a year. How much do you plan to use it?

+1
    I am currently doing the fiberglass floorboards and re-foam on a 97 yamaha superjet. Picked it up for 1200 with a newer motor punched out and mods. It is a lot of fun, even with the rear half of the foam saturated. Can't wait to get it done and ride it without all the extra weight. Pouring the foam this week on it. Everyone around here is the same as well, Yamaha SJ is the only way to go. Parts are everywhere and they are cheap.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1 View Post
    I am currently doing the fiberglass floorboards and re-foam on a 97 yamaha superjet.
    If you can or have room, use Styrofoam blocks on the lower side and then expansion foam to tie it all together.

As an example, the picture I posted shows how mine is put together. The advantage styrofoam has, it CAN NOT get water logged ever!...Not that any of my builds did
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sj-foam.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	363143  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
    Reference: Long time standup rider & builder here...

The only early standup worth messing with is the Yamaha SuperJet. The early 90's SJ are nicknamed "square nose." Its a great ski for first time riders. However, the '90 to '93 models used 650 motors (6m6) where the '94 & '95 used 701's (61X). If you must buy an early model, make sure someone already converted it to a 701...don't bother with the 650! You can easily swap to 701 is if needed...

While your $2K budget is a little tight, you might be able to find a '96-up "round nose" SJ. While the bottom of the hulls are identical from '90 to '07, the round nose model is better built with more durable fiberglass topdeck (still SMC bottom). The round nose handle-pole is much stronger too. The motors in the '96-up were still 701 but they used larger cases (62T) with same 701 cylinders (61x) and the combination makes good power. Throw a Factory "B" Pipe, prop, rejet, head, reeds and it completely wakes up that outstanding little motor! However, the early square nose will feel more stable and the round nose will feel more lively. I had both and all were modified because riding a standup that isn't modded is not much fun (IMO).

Caution:
    If you plan to ocean ride it, there are some very important mods to the hull that should be done. If not, you should be fine (especially if new).
    If you find a '96-up model for cheap, be very carefull because water can get into the rear half bondline and soak the foam inside and make the ski a TANK! If you don't want an advanced "project" ski, stick to clean, unmolested models.
    Good write up. I might get one of these one day.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Good write up. I might get one of these one day.
    Thanks. Best thing about the SJ is you are NEVER done learning or perfecting it. It always challenges you and are constantly learning.

For the big guys out there, the SJ may not be best option. If one is 200lbs or bigger, the Kawi SXR is a fine machine. It's sooooo much easier to ride...but because of that, its not as much fun to throw around. People that have never ridden a standup can quickly get up and ride across the lake on an SXR. The SJ, you gotta learn it to earn it!

Thread Information