Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 polaris virage runs great for a few mins then...

I put the ski in the water and she will ride great for a few minuets, then it will start to bogg down and wont seem to go above 3k rpms and then it will die out compleatly. it wont fire back up for a couple of minuets after that happens.
    I installed new plugs, brand new gas , cleaned fuel injectors and checked if it was over heating. Im stumped and out of ideas. any help is greatly appreciated
    Its a 2001 polaris virage 1200 3 seater fuel injected

Also only 11.3 hours on the ski =\

+1
    1) Hours are most likely incorrect (the display can be reset)
    2) Compression good on the motor?
    3) Could be the EMM, a common failure. Lots more info on the DI skis here: http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/polaris-ficht-fuel-injected-engines

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

These initial suspects come to mind;

TPS throttle sensor is failing. Next time the engine won't start, unplug the TPS, then try to start. If it now starts and idles, replacing the TPS seems likely.

EMM is not getting water cooling and is overheating. Check that the cooling water is actually flowing through the EMM. Sometimes the water exit hose gets kinked or crushed, or the water feed hose at the flywheel cover is kinked.

EMM is failing and needs internal repair.

Please check the last two digits on the HIN number plate to confirm the model year.

How did you 'clean' the fuel injectors? These Ficht injectors are completely different from common automotive fuel injectors. They are also specific to each cylinder and should not be swapped between cylinders.

Bought it off my friend. It sat on the back of his boat for years never used. He had bought it brand new
    We removed the injectors and cleaned all the gunk off them and from the inside and bench tested each one. its getting water Threw the system and not overheating, I even whent as far as removing the thermostat. Ill try and check the tps twomarrow. It it possible to clean the tps up and put it back in to see if thats the cause or is a new one needed. Also its a 2001. it seems to run fine on trailer with hose hooked up to it also if that helps. It also sat for a year and half. Befor sitting it ran like a champ.

Also my billage pump seem to of gave out. I tested for volts at the connector and wasn't getting any power. Any idea on that issue also
    ?

I was Reading somthing about the Fuel regulator falling off in the Fuel pump. Is this something yall have herd of happening before?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtfotroll View Post
    I was Reading somthing about the Fuel regulator falling off in the Fuel pump. Is this something yall have herd of happening before?
    A lot of good info can be found at K447's links, including the answer to this question: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...084#post852084

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtfotroll View Post
    Bought it off my friend. It sat on the back of his boat for years never used. He had bought it brand new

We removed the injectors and cleaned all the gunk off them and from the inside and bench tested each one.
    Inside? Did you remove the injector tip or unscrew the entire injector core?

How did you 'bench test' the Ficht fuel injectors?

its getting water Threw the system and not overheating
    , I even whent as far as removing the thermostat.
    The EMM is separate from the engine. It has small diameter water hoses that provide cooling water. The EMM cooling is not affected by the thermostat.

These fuel injected engines require the thermostat for correct engine operation.

Ill try and check the tps twomarrow. IS it possible to clean the tps up and put it back in to see if thats the cause or is a new one needed?

Also its a 2001.

It seems to run fine on trailer with hose hooked up to it also if that helps. It also sat for a year and half. Befor sitting it ran like a champ.
    It is not possible to clean or repair a TPS.

The best way to check for TPS trouble is to install a new TPS.

Check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve tee. Should be a little over 20 PSI when engine is running.

We just gave the tips a good cleaning and 12vplt battery to test it. I'll check fuel pressure when I get home and I'm not familiar with skis what is the em?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information