+1

GPR added to the fleet.

[IMG][/IMG]

I sold my WB2 & wanted something a bit smaller and more fuel efficient than my xlt1200. So I grabbed this GP800R with 36hrs on it from the original owner. Super clean, stock and came with a good trailer.
    Of corse the carbs needed to be done. So I dropped her off at Island Racing for the once over.
    Carbs, pre mix ProK f/a's, fuel filter, pv cleaning etc.
    I Stickered her up this morn and I'll be taking her out on Sat.
    Fresh fuel, 32:1 and hopefully I'll like.

Ill do do my usual, Bilge, stuffer, prop, grate n plate soon enough.

Let us know how it goes and ur top speed.

talk to carl, usually 32:1 is for engine break in. What oil you using?' Im on Klots just got the xlt back together. running 32:1 for one tank then its too 40:1 which is what alwayswas used in this ski.

+1
    Houston, I will take a GPS reading of it now, without the prop mods & then again after I get those in later.
    I'm not expecting much, it's an 800 & didn't get it for top speed. I'm guesstimating about 58mph with +3-4mph gain after the mods.

Scott, Sweet! the XLT is back. Everyone needs a spare ski or 2. Carl did the carbs etc. He's the one who recommended 32:1 as I've typically run 40:1 in my Kawi & WB2. My XLT is still injected.
    I typically run Royal Purple(sometimes Redline) as Im a dealer. Have been in my XLT over 100hrs. Carl was saying I could go 40:1 if I was running Klotz etc.
    I'll try the 32:1 RP in the 1st tank tomorrow & hopefully she runs great.

(new plugs, filter, fresh fuel & oil, carbs)

I siphoned as much as I could of the old gas(it was really bad, orange, separated, etc), but there might be 1/2gallon left I couldnt get the hose to pick up. I'm going to run a new filter on the 1st tank & then change it for another.

I'm pretty sure the 800 should have the tank pick up flapper so I need to remove that as well.
    Last edited by RaiderMagic; 06-19-2015 at 09:12 AM.

+1
    ...the little things;

I did a once over on all the clamps & lubed the cables/wheels & pivot balls, pump bearing, nose cone, etc. Now that the carb work is done I'm going to coat the engine with a layer of Fluid Film as I ride salt water & jump waves. Today I'll wash n wax it before it hits the water tmrw.

Cover:
    It came with an original Yamaha cover which is in really good shape. I'll use this till it dies. However, I ordered a NOS Slippery cover for my XLT a few yrs back & it didn't fit. Its super nice & was a closeout. All the tags & box say XLT, but it in no way ever would fit. I kept it as I didn't know what it would fit otherwise. I tried it on my XLT, Raider, WB2 & friends GP1200 without luck.... Guess what it fits? a GPR. sweeeet!

Rub Rail Sanding:
    This was a garage kept, low use machine that was trailered so I'm not sure how the rails got chewed? But I sanded the rub rails yesterday to smooth out the scabs a bit. Of corse this dulls them out some. I tried acetone, heat gun, etc. They aren't super grey but they don't look factory fresh shiny either. I'm not trying to restore this to new, lol but I'd like it cleaned up some. After much research I'm going to try a Turtle Wax Trim Restorer to get that black shine back. I've also used Kiwi Scuff Cover(shoe dye) with great results before on car trim.(Lasts a few years and doesn't run.) It's basically a solid wax type formula.

Re Glue a Mat:
    The factory turf mats are in great shape with the exception of 1 right rear mat that has curled up a few inches on the corner. It's complete etc, So I'm just going to smear some 4200 under it to keep it down.

Hood:
    I made the mistake of cleaning the plexi hood cowl with a strong cleaner & dulled it out a tad. Whoops So, I'm either going to remove it & plasti-dip it black or vinyl wrap it with a gloss black or CF wrap. I plastic dipped the air intake vents on the hood of my XLT early last season & they still look like new.

Bilge:
    I bought a 500gph bilge from Walmart for like $20 & had a 3/4" fitting & tubing laying around. Just waiting on a 3 way rotary switch. I'll get the basket glued, etc in the meantime.
    **Where is everyone mounting their Bilge switches on a GPR? ***
    - the handlebar mounts are sweet, I have 1 on my X2, but I just don't want to dump $75 on a switch right now.

Trailer:
    the trailer has right angle brackets to secure the lights. 1 was broken, & it needs lights. I threw on a new rectangular light I had laying around & will picking up 2 new light brackets today. My buddy is going to give me a set of good square lights (he went to LED). I also went LED on my other trailer after the new submersible halogen rectangle lights rusted out after 10uses. On these newish square ones I'm going to heavily coat the exposed metal tabs/wire ends with dielectric grease so they don't rust out in 2 months.

+1
    Ended up using some white 100% silicone I had to re glue the turf.
    Took her out for my 1st ride tonight.
    Shes runs strong. Pretty peppy ski.
    I went 32:1 and I might add 1gal of gas tmrw to reduce that. Still no where near 40:1 as I put in 16gal tonight.
    Stopped a few times to check for water etc.
    looks good.
    If I idle for 10-15 seconds she'll die, then be a bit tough to restart. But if running, blipping it she's ok.
    So im assuming the low jet is a tad rich or the oil ratio.
    Plus im not sure what that last 1/2gal of original mix was.
    ill try the gallon of fuel tmrw and run her for a few hours.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Sure is quieter than my 1200xlt.

+1
    Added that 1gal of fuel this morning and took her out today. It felt much snappier and didn't stall when idling.
    Ran 2hrs on the clock and refueled 6gal with 40:1.
    Ski feels great. Hit 62 on the dream meter. Very happy with this ski.
    My big ole Xlt seems like it's more eager to jump but this ski is fun n playful.
    I haven't taken it out to the surf yet.

+1
    I probably put about 5 hrs on the clock so far. Still under 40 lol
    runs great. Not as good of a jumper as my xlt but really fun. Kinda miss reverse sometimes, Docking in a Marina, fueling on the water etc.

I put in a plastic ball valve on the gay spray. Off in most cases but I like to actually use it when in the ocean swells.

It seems to take on a lot more water than I'd like. All the hoses & seals in the main hull area are ok. No obvious hull leaks., resting in water or on a hose.
    Im going to remove the battery box and inspect the rear hull. The shaft tube, cable exits, exhaust clamps etc.
    i need to get in here to install the bilge hose/fitting anyhow.

The he stock siphon bilge is clean etc. you'd think this would pull more water but I guess when riding, most of the water is in the rear. At idle/slow the water rushes forward, past the screen box. Seems like a bad (useless)location Yamaha placed the pick up in.

Thread Information