Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2007 GP1300r hesitation from idle, PPK,1200grate,1300 plate. "Traction control?"

Like to wave jump, need low end grunt.

2007 GP1300r.

Engine doesn't rev hard stomping on it(even feathering it) from idle. Just won't spin up hard.

Put in a PPK (sealed very well), R&D1200 grate, R&D1300 plate, stock prop,d-plate.

Better midrange, and slightly better off idle, but still motor won't rev hard off idle.

Am I correct, the 07 has traction control lowering power if it senses cavitation?...and any way to disable it?

Have a Lowell Horning 150psi head coming, but my 2000 GP1200r with a head beats it off the line easily.

Prop/housing gap is within specs from a visual. compression ~135.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

+1
    Does this engine still have the stock catalytic converter? That might be an issue...also all GPR's have a momentary dead spot/bog when the throttle is stabbed with a stock engine...especially the NON powervalve models. (2005-200 A fuel controller will help eliminate the momentary stumble if the cat is still good or you have a d-plate. You WILL need a controller with the 150psi head. (you'd better grab that head before I do if its the one he listed for sale in the classified section)

Thanks Prism! That makes sense. My 2000 1200r doesn't hesitate, but it's got ajetworks mod, head and good carb jetting...along with all the goodies incl a skat prop. it beats the 2007 by 3 solid boat lengths, then reals me in.

i have a D-plate on the 2007. Yes, I did buy Lowells head that had some salt pits in the chamber, if that the one.
    Would a power plenum, or the R&D exhaust cone do much?
    The ETK fuel controller seems like a good value at $250. They need 3 days to make it. I'd like it sooner.

I do believe I saw in the owners manual that says the ski has traction control and will back off the power to eliminate slippage...

Appreciate the help!
    Last edited by GpaaH; 06-19-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Edit; Change "does" to doesn't, added jetworks mod

+1
    No problem. Ive found when I try to go to fast in really choppy water, the ECM pulls back the power to keep me off the limiter. It may reduce timing and drop the powervalves slightly on the older models. It takes a while to kick in on mine and does not do it from a stop. The power plenum works well and I use one on my 2003 ski. From what I've been told, the exhaust cone won't give you any top speed over a d-plate and the jetworks mod works as good if not better on holeshot for less money.

Thanks again Prism. I mispoke when I said my 1200 "does hesitate". I meant to say,"It doesn't hesitate. I also added that the 1200 has the jetworks mod - an important detail.

But as I said earlier, when stabbing the throttle off idle, the ecm seems to jump into traction control mode and prevent the rpm from jumping up. It()The 2007) has no power other than the idle nonsense.

Maybe with the head and added fuel, it'll be a better.

+1
    Yeah hopefully, but the way you're describing it is making me wonder if its something else. Have you changed the sparkplugs recently? Check the sparkplug wires too. Make sure they aren't arcing or pulled out slightly from the box.

Update:

OK, I finally road the ski...not my son. A little different story..

From idle, peg it and it revs straight to 5800/6000rpm, when it hits 15/18mph it runs straight to ~7000rpms, and stays hooked up to it to Max RPM at ~64 mph.

The above is with a stock prop that has 75hrs on it. I'm guessing my quick look at the prop clearance (without feeler) put looking in the wrong directions.

Thoughts?

+1
    This sounds like cavitation. So the engine revs quickly to 5-6 grand but the ski takes off poorly....like a car spinning wheels on ice, correct? If so, yes, I would take a good hard look at the wear ring clearance and the trailing edge of the impeller for imperfections/dings. Also make sure the foam type seal has not pulled out from between the back of the pump shoe and the transom. It should be there and sealed in that area.

Thanks Prism!

I'll double check the seal location. I removed the cheesy foam and used extra 4000 quick cure with 48 hr wait.

With more money than brains, I ordered a DF 14/20 and a new wear ring with plastic insert.

With the already ordered EFI controller and 150psi head, I'm hoping the hole shot will be very strong and it should do fine on the top end, although I have heard off peeps unhappy with the bottom end of the 14/20.

Your thoughts?

+1
    I have a 14/21 prop on my 2006 GPR. The ski has only a d-plate for engine mods....I didn't do anything else to the engine...not even airflow mods. I use an 88mm (honed 1200R) 5 nozzle and turn it almost 7200rpm in cool weather. If you go on ebay, search for a Gp1200R exit nozzle. That nozzle is 87mm 5 and should do very well with a 14/20 dynafly plus have great holeshot and under 40 bucks. With the Lowell head on there you should be ok with the stock 85mm nozzle but keep the 87mm in mind if the RPMs are a little low. Swapping nozzles is cheaper and faster than sending impellers out or repitching yourself.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information