Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Cool So, what about a 2-stroke Spark?

I've always had a soft spot for 2-strokes, just love the sound, the smell and the power delivery Now I just got my 2015 2up HO Spark last week and a friend who owns a Ski Doo snowmobile with the Rotax 800R E-Tec engine came by, we started to discuss engines and his first question was "why didn't BRP put that engine in the Spark to begin with?"

I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons for that, probably environmental ones etc. but I couldn't really shake the thought once he had left. So I started looking at pictures online and I think when it comes to dimensions and weight the 800R E-Tech should be both smaller and lighter than the Ace 900 even though I have not been able to find any specs to compare first hand for now.

So what do you guys think about this in general, how would the Spark behave with a 160hp 2-stroke engine? And more specifically, if one were to take on such a project, what would be the major challenges and obstacles you think? The rev range seem to be pretty spot on with the 800R making peak power at 8k.

Obviously I'm not thinking about converting my current Spark but in case I decide to start a project like this I will be looking at getting a salvage unit or something and the same for the donor snowmobile since I would need a lot of electrical stuff etc. for the engine.

Some initial thoughts I had: would the cooling be sufficent, would the jet pump cope with the power, how to route the exhaust pipe, would you need to run both ECU's? Of course there would be a lot more questions along the way.

Probably a very crazy idea but that's kind of my thing, like my 2200lbs AC Cobra replica with a +500hp LS7 Engine from a Z06 Vette
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900ACE-xlarge.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	362672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ETEC800R-xlarge.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	362673  

+1
    951 Spark with twin pipes..

+1
    you just got to much time on your hands

Just install the turbo kit and you will have 160hp +

why you go back to a 2 stroke non reliability and rebuild @ 100 to 200 hrs and twice fuel use

you must have long winters

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The E tec motors are not the old 2 strokes that most think of. They are fuel efficient, clean running motors. None of the reliability issues of the carbed motors. If I were buying an outboard, no question it would be an Evinrude. If they can use the E tec in a sled, why not a watercraft? They have E tec outboards at 250 HP and beyond. I think it would be an awesome motor in a PWC.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    I dunno
    I just flashed my 60hp/2up/2015 SPARK to 109hp via V-Tech..
    It may as well be a 2 stroke.
    arm stretching acceleration!, no kidding.

I put the 8350 AGR tune to it - the lil jewel will propel itself right out of the water on throttle alone, if you dont get way up over the bars.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
    you just got to much time on your hands

Just install the turbo kit and you will have 160hp +

why you go back to a 2 stroke non reliability and rebuild @ 100 to 200 hrs and twice fuel use

you must have long winters
    True, we do have long winters I would say that we get maybe three months wort of riding a year. But on the other hand we also get about nine months to do other stuff for example snowmobiling and I can tell you first hand that the Ski Doo 800R E-Tec Engine is nothing of what you are describing. They are very realiable, clean running and very powerful and efficient as Matrix already pointed out here above. Have you heard about direct fuel injected 2-strokes? If not I suggest you read up a bit, it's a very interesting technology that eliminates most of the 2-stroke disadvantages.

For example, if you are to beleive BRP/Rotax the 800R will do up to 19 mpg in a snowmobile where the Ace 900 would do about 21 so not that far appart. And realibilitywise I doubt that a turboed Ace 900 will be as realiable as a stock 800R.

But while talking about turbo, what is done to the Spark in terms of the the water jet when you turbo charge the engine? I would think that maybe you could use the same approach if you were to use the 800R engine as they would be close in power?

8. +1 by:

+1
    If I can get a spark hull cheap , I have a 1180 MILLER motor here that I love to fit.... Lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    I dunno

I put the 8350 AGR tune to it - the lil jewel will propel itself right out of the water on throttle alone, if you dont get way up over the bars.

I have said this before, and I know that I will start a shit storm again..... I am sorry but you are not taking a 60hp and gaining 49 HP with a tune and nothing else!!!!! I am not denying that there may be big gains in the tune but not 49HP!!!!! And the 900ace WILL NOT make more than 100hp without any other mods...A tune wont do it....

11. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I dunno

I have said this before, and I know that I will start a shit storm again..... I am sorry but you are not taking a 60hp and gaining 49 HP with a tune and nothing else!!!!! I am not denying that there may be big gains in the tune but not 49HP!!!!! And the 900ace WILL NOT make more than 100hp without any other mods...A tune wont do it....
    I see your point. I guess it really would depend on how "detuned" the 60 HP version really is.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I dunno

o.k.; I believe you, but whatever the tune is worth - it is amazingly fun.
    ...and it is a tad quicker than a 90H.O. - beat 'em already. Not like i walk away...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information