+1

msx 150s ifb module smoking

Hello i have two of my customers msx 150 polaris and both have the same problem. First ill give you the story. He bought these skis on a auction not knowing they didn't run. He brought them to me to fix so, right away i just assumed that they needed batteries being there was none in them. So i install to interstate batteries one in each ski. Then I tried to start them. Well one rolled over hard and the other rolled over and began to spit and spudder. So i did some research on k447s info, and found that the oil was overfull by alot. So i sucked some oil out of each machine. Afterwards i was cranking and did not here injectors or fuel pump. So i pulled the plugs and notice that i have no spark. Well Checking all this i notice that each machine smell like burnt electrical, so i cranked both machines over again and looked around. What i noticed was smoke coming out of both IFB modules. I unpluged them then pluged them back in and walla i have spark and they run untill you shut them off. Then you have to unplug and replug module to get them to restart. Question is so i repalce just the module or should i check someting else that took this module out. Thanks in advance for any advice.

+1
    Common for the SIFB to fail. No new ones available from Polaris, but I believe aftermarket ones are available from Weber power dot com, with the limitation that you must pull the lanyard or the battery will drain.

+1
    Thanks for the info. I did find that a company in minnesota has these modules. Not sure if they are weber or not. Im going to order one from them and see what happens. I did get one to run on the water but did not rev out like it should. hope that this is part of my problem. The other ski starts but runs very rough did a compression test and have very low compression in rear cylinder. Thanks again for the info. I will repost when part comes in and let you know what happens.

+1
    I was also going to suggest that you check for all the other common problems before putting money into things like the SIFB, including compression, milky oil, oil in coolant, bad map sensors due to oil contamination, etc. If you post more details about the one that is running sorta OK (I assume it has at least 130 compression?), we can help further diagnose.

EDIT: If you are referring to Marto's, the consensus here is to give your money to Randy at Weberpower, Marto's isn't high on the list of recommended suppliers...

+1
    There are very likely other, worse problems than just failing SIFBs. A bad SIFB causes starting/stopping and issues reving above 3400 (the ECU limit when in reverse).

Check compression first. Then a Leak-down test (easy to spot blown headgasket). Oil slick in the coolant jug? Foamy oil in the oil tank? Any oil gunk in the intake tract (from turbo to intake manifold)? Any check engine light or other dash trouble indicators? Need to be in the water to gauge max rpms properly... need the load on the jetpump. On the trailer it'll likely zing way high. Best to always start/run on the trailer in reverse. What is the max RPM you can reach... or are being limited to. Don't guess. The RPM limit will point us to a likely issue... since you can't read codes with Polaris Digi Wrench. Do you have DW?

Bad compression? Could be the common Nikasil plating failure. Could be collapsed rings. Could be a blown headgasket. Could be a warped block due to a failed plastic waterpump drive gear causing a severe overheat. Any of these is a serious issue... and will almost always require a full rebuild and possible new/fixed block.

Good luck. Start your Weber studying here:
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....10-and-msx-150

Cheers!

Thread Information