Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Towing with factory cover on

Does anyone tow their PWC with cover on? I've got a FXHO with the factory Yamaha cover. It fits pretty tight.
    I don't think I would on the interstate but under 60 should it be ok?

+1
    If you want to beat dull spots in your paint from the wind flap, tow with the cover on. Generally a bad idea. Going 5 or 10 miles down the road is probably no huge deal though.

I tow mine back and forth 1 hour drive each way with the cover on every time, and been doing it for 6 years. The trip is 90% on the interstate at 70+ mph. The factory cover is designed for towing. You just need to be sure you engage the 2 plastic clips on the side, and have the elastic cord adjusted as per the instructions. The factory cover has vents in the rear that allow the cover to suck down around the ski if you have it on properly. Absolutely no damage to the paint, and no flapping if you have it on properly. You will get more damage from rocks, and road debris than you will ever get from the cover.

This does not apply to poorly fitting aftermarket covers.

Here is my ski: 2008 FX HO Cruiser. Only paint damage is from where my kids have rammed stuff.

Last edited by Ernest T; 06-18-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    I tow mine back and forth 1 hour drive each way every time I ride it, and been doing it for 6 years. The trip is 90% on the interstate at 70+ mph. The factory cover is designed for towing. You just need to be sure you engage the 2 plastic clips on the side, and have the elastic cord adjusted as per the instructions. The factory cover has vents in the rear that allow the cover to suck down around the ski if you have it on properly. Absolutely no damage to the paint, and no flapping if you have it on properly. You will get more damage from rocks, and road debris than you will ever get from the cover.

This does not apply to poorly fitting aftermarket covers.

Here is my ski: 2008 FX HO Cruiser. Only paint damage is from where my kids have rammed stuff.

I have owned ski's since 2007 and ALWAYS tow with the cover on. It does not matter if it is 15 minutes down the road or 4 hours on the interstate. The dull spots that are mentioned above are usually caused by the elastic band not being tight enough or the plastic clips coming off. The dull spots are much easier to rub out with compound then worrying about a rock chip or debris hitting the paint at 70. The only time mine are not covered is when I am riding them.

5. +1 by:

Regularly tow mine several hundred miles at highway speeds with no issues. The cover is kind to the hull, but I wouldn't fit it if the ski is dusty or covered in salt residue.

I tow with the factory cover on and whenever I tow any of my boats, I use large Rock Protector flaps to protect the hull from rock chip damage.

I tow with it on, no issues here.

9. +1 by:

@JC

+1
    I tow mine with the cover on. I do use a nice cotton sheet under the cover, kind of like a nice silky bra. :yay2:

+1
    I never tow with a cover on my skis. It's a polarizing topic here on GH, but IMO the wind will always be rubbing the cover against the paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information