Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polaris Virage oil usage

Anyone know how much oil/gallon a 2001 Virage 1200 tx should be using. I think mine is excessive. I filled both oil and gas tanks and 1 tank of gas went through about half a tank of oil.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The fuel to oil consumption ratio should be less than 40:1.

If you burn 40 gallons of gasoline you should consume less than one gallon of oil, roughly speaking.

Exact oil oil consumption depends on throttle position and engine RPM as the oil pump is variable rate. Make sure the oil pump arm is pointing to the left side of the hull at idle and the oil cable has been adjusted to match up with the hash mark on the oil pump body.

Check that oil is not leaking into the hull.

So I have been searching for some clarification and cannot seem to find it. I've noticed my 01 Virage 1200 TX has really been going through the oil. I feel it is nowhere near 40:1. I came across this topic and when comparing to my ski I noticed some differences. When sitting on the ski my arm was pointing to the starboard (right) side of the ski. I also noticed that when you hit the throttle it would pull the oil pump lever up towards the top of the engine and the spring would not pull it back down. Based on this post I pulled the arm off and moved it so it is now facing the left as pictured. I also loaded the spring so when you let off the throttle is pulls it back down to the left idle position as mentioned in the post above. So now it seems the oil flow will be opposite of how it was before. So is my setup correct now? And does the pump just spin and spin or is the arm similar to a carb jet where it needs to be backed out a certain amount of turns for proper tuning. I rode it for a few minutes and it seems to run harder and has no hesitation. Before I noticed it would feel like it had a little hesitation. Obviously I want to make sure it is getting the proper amount of oil.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spark plug.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	395680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil pump view 2.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	395679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil pump view 1.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	395678  

+1
    Wow that hull is shiny inside! Has that thing ever been ridden?

+1
    Welcome

You should check the hash mark alignment on the oil pump arm hub. I have posted the procedure elsewhere on here previously.

First adjust the throttle cable slack to correct (just a tiny bit of throttle lever play before the throttle shaft begins to move), then adjust the oil cable to align the hash marks on the oil pump.

You will need a small mirror to see the two hash marks, and a small light may be helpful.

I am also impressed by the cleanliness of your hull interior.

Thanks guys.

I've been on here before but couldn't find my old login so I started over. This was a barn find we bought back in 2012 from the original owner with 10.8 hours on it. It now has around 50 hours on it. I'll have to search for the arm alignment adjustment thread. So based on the photos above is the arm at least pointing in the correct position now? I have not touched it since we bought it and I'm sure the divorced lady I bought it from never played with the linkage so I'm not sure why it would have been aimed to the right at idle. Do the plugs look like it is tuned correctly?

So I found this photo and did some annotations to see if I am thinking this through correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears (based on the angle of this photo) if I was to adjust the pump it would need to rotate counter clockwise until the arrow on the arm is pointing at the arrow on the pump body. Also, can this pump just spin around and around or is there any amount of turns out and then adjust the marks? My thought is every 360 rotation puts it right back to the "original" position.

Thanks again guys. I'm hoping to tackle this tonight and see how she rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil pump closeup drawing.png 
Views:	424 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	395714  

+1
    I don't think it matters which way you rotate the arm to get it into positionwithaligned hash marks, but the spring for the hub arm needs to be correctly tensioned.

The idea is that if the oil cable breaks the pump arm will automatically move downwards and engage the full oil flow position.

Looks like I am all set then. I checked the arm adjustment and it is a little on the more side of the notch. What is odd is the ski seems to run way better than before. Would excessive oil supply have caused the ski not to run well? Even my wife noticed a difference.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeliving1 View Post
    Looks like I am all set then. I checked the arm adjustment and it is a little on the more side of the notch. What is odd is the ski seems to run way better than before.

Would excessive oil supply have caused the ski not to run well? Even my wife noticed a difference.
    Did you also adjust the throttle cable slack?

That can often improve the feel and allow for full engine power, especially if there was too much slack previously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information