Polaris Hurricane Part Out

**Pics are Finally here!**
    I recently picked up a second 97 Hurricane and have decided to part my original hurricane (don't worry Andy its not yours). Every thing runs and works great minus the stator. Cylinder compression is 122 psi (mag) and 125 psi (pto).
    All Parts available. Located near Niagara Falls and willing to ship.

Last edited by jmgoertz; 06-28-2015 at 04:53 PM.

I have a full set of electrics from a 97 SL700...

+1
    You had me worried for a minute there!

Ok guys, I should have pics up my the end of the weekend. In the meantime everything is still available;
    hood,
    hood latches,
    red hood cowl with mirrors,
    throttle and steering cables
    full electronics minus stator,
    drive shaft,
    driveshaft stabilizer,
    carbs,
    flame arrestors,
    motor,
    jet pump,
    hull extensions,
    bumper trim,
    ect.
    You name it its here and in good shape. Or make an offer on the whole thing and get caliburst's stator for a strong running ski. Everything is best offer, after picking up Andy's machine I'm not in need of this one.

pics are up!! Literally make a reasonable offer on any part and take it away.

Hi guys, after not getting much of a response for hurricane parts I decided to dive into this and get it all fixed up. Turns out the stator was not shot as I had been led to believe. Turns out the reason she wouldn't fire was the black ground from the updated cdi was never hooked up. Whoever had done it had wound it up and tucked it away. Once I hooked it to the battery, Presto!! Fired second crank! With that said no more part out but if someone's interested in a fully functional Polaris Hurricane for sale let me know. Lol

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgoertz View Post
    Hi guys, after not getting much of a response for hurricane parts I decided to dive into this and get it all fixed up. Turns out the stator was not shot as I had been led to believe. Turns out the reason she wouldn't fire was the black ground from the updated cdi was never hooked up. Whoever had done it had wound it up and tucked it away. Once I hooked it to the battery, Presto!! Fired second crank! With that said no more part out but if someone's interested in a fully functional Polaris Hurricane for sale let me know. Lol
    On the Updated Ignition kit the CDI and electrical ground does not go directlyto the battery. Electrical box grounding now goes to the Black stator wire, and the stator in turn is grounded internally to the front of the engine.

The thin Black wire was factory configuration on the non-updated ignitions, and the installation instructions for the Update Kit say to delete the thin black battery wire in favor of the stator grounding method. The updated stator wire harness ends are slightly different than the original verso precisely to support the stator ground path.

Review the installation instructions for the Ignition System Update Kit as it sounds like the installation was not done quite right.

Sometimes what can happen is the plastic battery cover is omitted and the shell of the metal electrical box shorts to the battery positive post. This short circuit frys the thin black wire going to the stator, often resulting in no more ground for the electrical box through the stator. This problem is recognized if the stator cable shows signs of heat and the black wire is particularly badly damaged.

Hey K, feel free to message me as this is starting to turn technical in a classifieds section. I purchased this machine non running and was told it was the stator. Ohlm tested it came back perfect for the update specs. Cdi is an 803 which of I'm not mistaken is a non update. Any ideas why hooking up the small ground fixed the no spark issue?

Thread Information