Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Let's talk about mods that actually work on the svho

I want to start a debate. I've been in the performance car industry for over 15 years. I've built my share of forced induction vehicles and have countless hours dyno tuning. I miss the days of going to SEMA every year.

There seems to be a lot of products on the market that might make your ski faster from a lighter wallet rather than actual performance.

For example, the "Stage 1 Cooling Mod" I read about today. Just.. no. Sorry, I graduated high school. It doesn't cool your engine better by using a brass T over a plastic one and drilling out a fitting .5mm. Sorry.

Now, other mods like the ribbon delete... yes.

Cold Air intake? Actually... and I can back this up with videos of dyno runs testing on cars... and no. These do not actually do anything for power over a stock airbox. Maybe on highly modified skis with larger wheels, sure. On a stock supercharger? I wouldn't waste the $$. In fact there's dyno tests, on forced induction cars, where an aftermarket air intake made less HP than a factory airbox. You must remember there's A LOT of research and development put into an engine. Some company designing something that looks cool with no flow testing is supposed to work better? Or bolting on a drain pipe with a filter attached? Highly improbable. I don't have the specs of the OEM supercharger on it's air volume, but trust me, if the OEM air intake was "restrictive" it would get sucked into the engine.

Exhaust mods? Oh heck yeah, these are forced inducted motors you want that exhaust OUT. Aftermarket waterbox, rear exit, yes yes yes.

Larger intercooler? Colder you make the air = more power you make. This should be almost the #1 mod for power junkies.

ECU flashes? Where most of the speed will come from (timing).

Impellers? Gotta get your RPM correct.

Oil breathers? Removing the factory oil vent to the intake removes your PVC system. Bad. Very bad. Big no-no especially on a forced induction engine.

Hull venting? Surprisingly yes and is a "must do".

Ride plate, plate angle, intake grates, pump angle, etc? That's where A LOT of speed will come from too. It's a science on the GP hulls, and trust me the same applies to the FZ. Everyone seems obsessed with just throwing more HP under the seat when they forget you've got 3-5mph under the hull. That's why some people do mid high 70s, and some do mid 80's with the same mods. They didn't forget. Read the 2-stroke yamaha section there's 100's of threads on hull setup to get every ounce of mph from the ski as possible, same applies to the FZ.

Sponsons? Actually do a lot for speed in terms of porpoising control, but Yamaha had the audacity to not make the OEM adjustable anymore. Aftermarket it is. Sad.

I'm not trying to blow up the internet, but I'm just seeing sooooo many insanely overpriced placebo products hit the market for these skis it's disgusting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    Oil breathers? Removing the factory oil vent to the intake removes your PVC system. Bad. Very bad. Big no-no especially on a forced induction engine.
    1. Plenty of threads on SVHO mods already.

2. PVC is for plumbing. PCV is for engines.

3. The 2 smokers warned us about you.

Banned User
    +1
    One will never learn blindly following others. I like knowing "why", not "how".

+1
    Here we go...

+1
    Hi there buddy,

JUST FYI...

The Riva cooling kit isn't just a brass "T" fitting. The Riva cooling kit allows you to run a dedicated cooling line from your jet pump to your inter cooler in addition it allows you to run a secondary water feeding line to your engine block just below the intake manifold and it also eliminates the oil cooling line from the engine block feeding manifold so your whole cooling system is improved by about 100%.

Good luck, Julio...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Hi there buddy,

JUST FYI...

The Riva cooling kit isn't just a brass "T" fitting. The Riva cooling kit allows you to run a dedicated cooling line from your jet pump to your inter cooler in addition it allows you to run a secondary water feeding line to your engine block just below the intake manifold and it also eliminates the oil cooling line from the engine block feeding manifold so your whole cooling system is improved by about 100%.

Good luck, Julio...
    That one works, yes.

This crap:
    http://rivaracing.com/i-18612853-riv...e-1-stock.html

+1
    Well exhaust mods didn't do a thing on my ski. You'll learn soon if you try. Riva box is a waste of money.

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds good though.

+1
    Oh and you couldn't be anymore wrong with the cold air intake. Get your mods together then run them with the stock air box that you say flows so well. Then hook a piece of kanaflex up to outside air and report back to me on what your rpm and seat of the pants pull does. It's a serious gain lol

Banned User
    +1
    Enjoy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information