Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    98 xpl white smoke (electrical)

    Was out riding my newly rebuilt motor for about 30 mins and since I was getting a rich bog I kept stopping to adjust the low speed screws. 1/8 turn at a time in and so on and so on.... After a few stops, I notice white smoke and an electrical smoldering noise coming from under the exhaust pipe on the carb side. The smoke was electrical in nature and was getting thicker and thicker. I opened the rear hatch as well and smoke was even thicker there. I didn't have anything on me to disconnect the battery so I had to wait until I had some help arrive with a 10 mm at which point I finally disconnected the positive cable.
    I can only assume it was a starter related short, and wanted to ask if anyone had anything similar happen?
    Before installation I tightened the starter pole and connected everything properly, dielectric grease and all....
    I towed it to shore and had not attempted anything since.


  2. #2
    Waterluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    478
    +1
    69
    Ick, I'd rather the new engine snag the rings and grenade itself than have that happen that smell is unforgettable.

    Does the starter relay/solenoid look like that had a meltdown? I'd unplug the two wire connector to the relay from the MPEM, remove the power cable out to the starter motor and put the battery back in to take a few tests.

    Once back in and all fuses checked, I'd probe the end of that MPEM connector to make sure there's no voltage there on the black ground wire and yellow w/red trace wire that supply the connector. Then, install the DESS lanyard see if you get two beeps then press and hold the start/stop button and see if you are getting a ground and system voltage at the plug in to the relay.

    If that checks out ok, the relay probably failed and wasn't closing.

  3. #3
    Yes the smell has definitely stuck around for a day now and is probably going to stick around a while.
    I will wait until this vacay is over and then next week I can spend time messing around with it. Meanwhile I ordered a new solenoid and a new starter. I have my 05 rxt to keep us busy for now.
    I will report when I know more! Thanks!

  4. #4
    Pulled the battery today - looks like the wiring which goes to the vts motor is melted, so maybe it wasn't the starter cable after all...

  5. #5
    Waterluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    478
    +1
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurbet View Post
    Pulled the battery today - looks like the wiring which goes to the vts motor is melted, so maybe it wasn't the starter cable after all...
    If the solenoid still looks good and tests ok the VTS was your culprit, I hope it didn't take out the MPEM with it you'll know right away if it wakes up and rolls the the engine over.

  6. #6
    Looked at the wiring closer today... While the fam is busy with coffee and the morning goodies.
    Didnt put a battery in it but took some pics of the damage.
    The wire which I am holding is the wire which burnt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	362617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	362618
    Last edited by dcurbet; 06-18-2015 at 02:24 PM.

  7. #7
    1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    240
    +1
    4
    Is VTS unit full of water/corrosion? That would be a good telltale sign.

    Ive got a complete harness from 98' XPL if you need.


    Rob

  8. #8
    Thx Rob - I will pull it once it I get home and will let you know what I find.
    Is the vts something that can be eliminated altogether? Never had a ski with it but it seems a bit of an unnecessary luxury?

  9. #9
    wkuadam07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    1,405
    +1
    170
    I bet someone put the wrong fuse in the VTS because the correct one was blowing. A 20-30 amp fuse won't blow before those little wires melt down... Something completely and totally dangerous that people do all of the time...
    Best way to eliminate VTS is to set it to a satisfactory adjustment, then pull the fuse out and toss it. It's needed to hold the nozzle in place, unless you swap the nozzle from a ski with no VTS... at that point you have a hole to seal up in the hull if you want to remove the box...

  10. #10
    So then if mine is set to an acceptable setting (middle of the road) then I can simply cut the wiring and get back to tuning my carbs?
    (Do not even have to cut it since it melted ....)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stock 98 XPL - Smoke or water vapor in hull??
    By lnxmad in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM
  2. 98 xpl wear ring vs. 99+ xpl wear ring
    By JayZ in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 09:24 AM
  3. 98 XPL Sponsons & Seat Cover
    By diver2694 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 11:39 PM
  4. ???best grate and rideplate for a 98 XPL???
    By rapidacceleration in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 06:27 PM
  5. WPS Finger Throttle on a 98 XPL??
    By nubmturk in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •