Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

99 gti 717 charging system

I have a 99 I bought new in 2000. Only has 80 hours on it and was having issues. I put all new gaskets on the motor top end and it seemed to fix the problem I was having.. Turns out charging the battery while I had it out actually fixed the issue.

It would bog and stall if you try WOT..

Replaced battery today and fired up and ran great.

My question is do these 717's have any prone to failure components as far as the charging system?

+1
    Use a voltmeter to check and see if it's charging at all. You should get 14 volts or thereabout with some throttle on the trailer. If the voltage isn't coming up then the rectifier is the first check. Some of those gti's had a separate harness with a fuse also. It's important to make sure that wire is hooked to the positive side of the battery with a good fuse if you have that wire.

Alright wwell it's charging. It's slow charge however only around 12.6v. But it does go up and down with throttle.

However it's not running right again. Try to plane then stalls before able to plane.

+1
    Yeah, 12.6 isn't charging... 12.6 is just battery voltage. Is your voltage is higher with the engine not running and the key off? If it is it's draining the battery while running. Does the voltage drop when you rev it up?

Fix this first... Then clip your plug wires and think about a total fuel system clean and a carb job. BTW, if you keep running it this way and it turns out the carb needs work you risk running your motor lean and blowing it up.

I replaced all fuel lines and cleaned the carbs a few months ago at the start of the season. Then I had an issue with water getting into the cylinders. So I reseal ed the whole top end. I charged the battery over night gonna test it in the water again and see if my problem is gone If it is I will start to test the charging system.

+1
    I would check the charging system first, unless you enjoy swimming your ski back to shore...

what are the resistance test procedures for these skis?

+1
    First, it should make 14+ volts when you rev past say 3000 rpm. If it doesn't do that, download the shop manual (free @ seadoomanuals.net) to save me typing out the whole procedure. The test procedures are in the shop manual...

so I ran it today after charging the battery over night and it ran fine. except I had to choke it. So the battery must be dying. I printed out the shop manual for the electrical testing. I will try and get that done today.
    Last edited by Magoogle; 06-20-2015 at 08:29 PM.

I verified the charging system is working fine at the regulator/rectifier, however that 13v+ is not reaching the battery. I added a jumper wire from the + and - of the rectifier output directly to the battery and I am now getting a charging battery.

So I took it back out and it charges fine. However I have to choke it slightly to make it go WOT..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information