Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

96 SLT 700 dead in the water -- HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!

After burning through some old gas my '96 SLT 700 got up and ran like a dream...even in rough waters! However, I let someone else take it out and they said that when they hit rougher than earlier waters the ski came to a hault. We ended up towing it in. When we opened things up we found the battery dislodged and that big black box free as well. Now when I push the start button I get nothing. I've had the battery checked...thought it shorted...and checked for burned wires and found nothing.

Any idea what to check next? I'm at a total loss!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

+1
    Did you open the electrical box (big black box) and inspect all the wires inside it? Could have jarred a wire loose inside. Did you check the breaker on the ebox too?

Get that thing strapped down! Ensure you have a plastic battery cover between the battery and ebox.

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CSouris View Post
    After burning through some old gas my '96 SLT 700 got up and ran like a dream...even in rough waters! However, I let someone else take it out and they said that when they hit rougher than earlier waters the ski came to a hault. We ended up towing it in. When we opened things up we found the battery dislodged and that big black box free as well. Now when I push the start button I get nothing. I've had the battery checked...thought it shorted...and checked for burned wires and found nothing.

Any idea what to check next? I'm at a total loss!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!
    Check for burn damage on the thin Black wires, both inside and outside the electrical box.

Check the part number on the CDI module inside the electrical box. This will tell you whether you have the original ignition system or the Ignition Update Kit installed. If original ignition then there is a thin black wire that connects to the battery negative. If updated then that thin black wire is supposed to be deleted/cut/disconnected.

Also check the cable that runs from electrical box to the stator at the front of the engine. Inside that cable is a thin black wire. Check that it has not been damaged/burned.

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Did you open the electrical box (big black box) and inspect all the wires inside it? Could have jarred a wire loose inside. Did you check the breaker on the ebox too?

Get that thing strapped down! Ensure you have a plastic battery cover between the battery and ebox.

Cheers!
    The breaker was 'popped' and I hit the reset. Opened the box and traced voltage to the connection with the two red battery post connections...working alone I can hit the start button AND two leads. I've checked all the wires and can't find anything loose.

IF and WHEN I get this resolved God himself won't jar the battery or the electrical box loose ever again!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=K447;2573034]
    Check for burn damage on the thin Black wires, both inside and outside the electrical box.

Check the part number on the CDI module inside the electrical box. This will tell you whether you have the original ignition system or the Ignition Update Kit installed. If original ignition then there is a thin black wire that connects to the battery negative. If updated then that thin black wire is supposed to be deleted/cut/disconnected.

Also check the cable that runs from electrical box to the stator at the front of the engine. Inside that cable is a thin black wire. Check that it has not been damaged/burned.
    Going to check for that stator wire now...does this photo help at all?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150615_101154.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	362328

Hallaluha i found the issue!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Going to check for that stator wire now...does this photo help at all?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150615_101154.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	362328
    That looks like an original Gen I ignition CDI module.

Back to the drawing board...

There were two very small shorted wires coming out of the ebox!!! Trust me when I wiggled the wires tracing the stater per K447's suggestion when that bad boy kicked over with my head and arms in the hull I just about ... well you get the point ... first you say it ... then you do it and go change your underwear!!!! LOL

However! Prior to taping the wires it kicked over and ran...now that the wires are taped it turns over but won't start ... UGH! I made all my repairs with the battery OUT to avoid any sparks. The breaker has been reset and double checked. I guess I'll spend the next few hours splicing wires AGAIN and strapping things down, TIGHT, and hopefully be on the water tomorrow ... any suggestions?

+1
    Back to the drawing board...

There were two very small shorted wires coming out of the ebox!!! Trust me when I wiggled the wires tracing the stater per K447's suggestion when that bad boy kicked over with my head and arms in the hull I just about ... well you get the point ... first you say it ... then you do it and go change your underwear!!!! LOL

However! Prior to taping the wires it kicked over and ran...now that the wires are taped it turns over but won't start ... UGH! I made all my repairs with the battery OUT to avoid any sparks. The breaker has been reset and double checked. I guess I'll spend the next few hours splicing wires AGAIN and strapping things down, TIGHT, and hopefully be on the water tomorrow ... any suggestions?
    With all the testing you might have drained down your battery, you need atleast 10.6 volts while cranking to get spark. maybe a charge in battery is all you need?

Tested the battery with a volt meter and got 13 volts. All that is left to do is hang over it and re-do all the wire connections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information