2000 Polaris SLH700 MFD Problems

Hello to all

Im new to this site my names jim. I have a 2000 polaris slh 700. The ski runs great no complaints with it really it all. Now my MFD doesnt want to work when the machines off the clock shows the time as soon as i turn it on it shows a bunch of 8's across the screen. Rode it all weekend with it showing all 8's until yesterday about 2 hours into riding it the screen reset and started working showing me everything it is suppose to. Shut it off a hour later got back on it and bam back to all 8's again it seems to come and go as it pleases. Has anyone experienced this before? This is my first ski so I am learning this as I go. Could this be loose wiring or what ? I have done some research on google and cant find much on this. I have reset it by disconnecting the battery and have check the plugs behind the screen all seems good? Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section still trying to get the hang of this website.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

My suggestions;

Replace the 1/4 Amp fuse in the electrical box. Don't test it, just replace it. Sometimes the fuse can become unreliable but still test OK.

It is important that the replacement MFD fuse be the same Amp rating, not higher.
    Parts sources list can be found via my signature links.

While the electrical box is open look for signs of moisture or corrosion. There should be none.

Disconnect the connector behind the MFD and leave it disconnected for a few hours.

Check the wiring between MFD and electrical box. Look for signs of damage, corroded or bent pins, water inside.

Water inside the display often results in degradation and corrosion inside.

Connect a multimeter to the battery posts and run the engine. Confirm that the battery voltage rises to about 14.5 volts and remains fairly stable as the RPM varies. Any voltage below 13.5 volts while the engine is running is a sign of trouble, weak battery or charging system problems.

If the problem persists despite all the above, it is possible to re-calibrate the MFD. This is best done while connected to a regulated 14.0 volt DC power source. Otherwise the voltage display will be incorrect after 'calibration'.
    Last edited by K447; 06-15-2015 at 05:36 PM.

K447 thanks for getting back to me i will disconnect the back of the mfd and let it dry out for a while. Also i checked the fuse it seems fine but tomorrow I will go to radio shack and try to find a new one. The fuse box is clean and dry. The battery is a brand new gel battery probably only a week old now but i will hook up to it and check it again. If all else fails how do you calibrate the mfd? Electrical has never been my strong suit in life trying to catch on as much as I can. I was happy when it started working yesterday but then it stopped so now im stumped so i appreciate this information.

Ok so heres a update checked all of the connectors cleaned each one out, Unplugged the mfd for a few hours plugged it back in and it set to all 8s still then reset to the clock. Could not get the mode buttons or it to turn all the way on from that position still. Checked all of the fuses again still all good. Could this be the mfd just going bad? Or does the cdi box go bad ? traced the wires all the way back to the cdi and that looks like a expensive fix haha. Cleaned and checked all the ground wires as well. It seems to be a electrical issue just still am unsure of where? Should i just try to recalibrate the mfd? how do you do this ? Thanks again for helping me i appreciate it

+1
    Did you replace the fuse for the MFD?

yes the fuse for the mfd is the 1/4 one correct the 3 amp one is for the bilge?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1989 View Post
    yes the fuse for the mfd is the 1/4 one correct the 3 amp one is for the bilge?
    1/4 amp fuse is the MFD.

3 amp fuse is for the bilge pump.

ok then yes i replaced the 1/4 amp fuse got one from radio shack the only place around me that seems to carry it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1989 View Post
    ok then yes i replaced the 1/4 amp fuse got one from radio shack the only place around me that seems to carry it
    The 'all 8's' should only appear for a couple of seconds when the MFD display wakes up from sleep mode. Sleep mode shows the clock continuously until the engine starts or a MFD button is pressed.

If the LCD self test (8888 ) remains then the display has a problem, either internally it is failing or the power+ground connections to the display are not good.

Thread Information