Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

Missing Speed... Insight?

Good morning everyone. I've been working on my setup this spring and I seem to be missing some speed. I am looking for any insight.

I am running a 2013 FZS. It has a R&D wheel (16psi @ 8500), Superclutch, Type14 IC with dedicated line, BOV, VX plate with zero shims, R&D grate, TJ exhaust mods, R3 flash, Pink 565cc injectors, RRFPR, ribbon removed, lots of hull ventilation.

I run at 800 feet elevation. I've been playing with my setup a lot. This weekend, I tried the 155mm liner and a Scat 13/25. With the stock 83mm nozzle and stock steering nozzle, best I could do was 80mph @ 8300rpm, 15psi. This is with a full tank of gas and I weigh about 285. Air temp is in the 70s and water temps in the 60s.

I then put the 87mm nozzle on and tried again. I gained 300rpm and 1mph and 1psi. So 81mph@8600rpm@16psi.

It seems like I am missing an easy 3mph or so. I'm not sure if the stock steering nozzle, exhaust, ride plate setup, or what could be scrubbing this much speed. AFRs are perfect around 11.8:1. The ski has AWESOME midrange, way more pull than it had with my C3 which made like 3lbs less boost, but the same top speed. I've tried different props, nozzles, cones, etc. It seems like no matter what I do a hit a wall at 81-82mph.

Any insight?

Thanks,
    Adam

Banned User
    +1
    I don't want to be "that guy" but you're 100lb heavier than most of us and that full tank is about 70lb heavier than what we average test on (1 bar on the gauge).

So, considering you're 170lb heavier than the average ski during speed testing... that's not bad!! Throw a 180lb rider on that ski with 5 gallons in the tank and it'll be doing 85.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    I don't want to be "that guy" but you're 100lb heavier than most of us and that full tank is about 70lb heavier than what we average test on (1 bar on the gauge).

So, considering you're 170lb heavier than the average ski during speed testing... that's not bad!! Throw a 180lb rider on that ski with 5 gallons in the tank and it'll be doing 85.
    Haha, no hard feelings! I'm a big guy, that's why I wanted to make sure that all the facts are laid out.

If the added weight really makes that big of a difference, I'm ok with that. It just seems like I'm off the mark from what everyone else is seeing. And my speed really hasn't gone up after adding 3lbs boost, even though the midrange is wicked stronger.

+1
    Throw a 180lb rider on that ski with 5 gallons in the tank and it'll be doing 85.
    Put the pipe down.

Banned User
    +1
    No, it's monday I need it.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Throw a 180lb rider on that ski with 5 gallons in the tank and it'll be doing 85.
    Put the pipe down.
    Lol I was thinking the same thing. I think as long as the weight is on the back the top speed won't be down that much. I've done a top speed pull sitting on the back of my buddies ski so 440lbs total and his speed was only down only like 1.5 mph at best.

+1
    I noticed you are running a vx plate with no shims at all. Try adding two ss fender washers to the front corners of your ride plate on each side and none in the rear coners. usualy .100-.110 is the max thickness these two washers can be combined together. Be sure your ride plate is NOT lower than the pump shoe. This change in plate angle will help get the nose of the ski up some more. Also re position your body weight more to the rear of the seat will help some also. Tommy Jordan

+1
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try shimming the front of the plate a bit and see what happens. I was thinking that this may make an even bigger difference given my higher weight.

Was also thinking of going to that SVHO Solas prop and 160 liner. My holeshot sucks and that prop seems to be a good mix of low end and top end.

Any comments on if my stock steering nozzle could be hurting anything?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try shimming the front of the plate a bit and see what happens. I was thinking that this may make an even bigger difference given my higher weight.

Was also thinking of going to that SVHO Solas prop and 160 liner. My holeshot sucks and that prop seems to be a good mix of low end and top end.

Any comments on if my stock steering nozzle could be hurting anything?
    Are you going with a 160mm SVHO pump? If not, I dont think you can run the SVHO prop. There is a 160mm housing for your SHO that accepts 160mm SHO props though.

+1
    I'd keep my 155 pump and just run a washer to space out the prop. I'd just need a 160 liner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information